Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: decimals

Question decimals

I work at A Machine shop in Mark ill. We get little training. I have been doing this kind of work for over a year and i still call myself a PUSH BUTTON OPERATER!! I am dealing W/ the fact that set-up, and maint. are to do all the fun stuff. But they made a guy a cell facilitater(guy that walks around and helps operaters with problems)that says .00005 is not fifty-millionths. Now i asked my supervisor and he said im right. But the guy said to go on line and look it up, cuz there wrong. Please tell me what it actually is. I just love my job and want to learn it better the right way. Thanks

Tell that "cell facilitator" dweeb if he can't work decimals he doesn't deserve a fancy title.

You're right. 0.00005 is 50 millionths. The decimal progression is in multiples of ten as the numbers move to the right of the decimal point. As we in the machine shop express it: tenths of an inch (one decimal place), hundredths (two places), thousandths (three places), ten-thousandths (four), ten of millionths (five), millionths or micro-inches (six decimal places).

IOWOLF Guest

OK,Forrest is correct. But really whats the point? Do you work to that tight of tolerances?Most places only deal with 4 decimal places.

IMHO

thank you for the correct answer. and yes on one job we run spline shafts and only get+.00025 -.00025 and have to offset in.00001. Iguess the point is just for my own satisfaction, of knowing a man thats 40+ years old, been doing this work for a little while and is wrong. You would have to meet the guy and then you would want to prove him wrong to. He is a cocky noit all.

[This message has been edited by pool_shark69 (edited 07-20-2005).]

I don't like that type myself but remember that we all have our strong and weak points.

Paul A.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

IOWOLF Guest

There was a guy on here a while back who had a guy named "Pete" I think,He was asking what he should do about him,there was all sort of advice , you might look in the archives for advice on him.

Becouse there is at least one on every job.

Hey you guys! Watch how you talk. Us cocky ni-it-alls have sensitive feelings.

** noob alert **

Is'nt 50 millionths .000050? Without the 0 after the 5 would the value not be 5 hundred thousandths? The 0 after the 5 is a significant figure, and reflects greater precision in the measurement. On the other hand I could be clueless.

I always thought it boiled down to whether you're talking to a scientist (achademic) or an engineer. HP calculators have settings for FIX, SCI, and ENG which determine how decimals are displayed. The difference between SCI and ENG is that ENG makes the exponent a multiple of 3, so you see thousanths, millionths, billionths, etc. (Ok, milli-, micro-, and nano-...) The SCI setting likes to put a single digit to the left of the decimal, the rest on the right, and adjust the exponent to make it all fit.

I know it sounds like gobbledigook to type it out like this, but when speaking, it's easier to say "millionths", "thousanths" etc than it is to say "ten-thousanths", "hundred-thousandths", etc. I guess that makes me an engineer. I'd rather say "50 millionths" than "five hundred-thousandths" or perhaps more correctly, "five one-hundred-thousanths".

What did the "cell operator" say .00005 is?

-M

Science. If you don't understand it, don't talk to me about how it's going to end the world.

** noob alert 2.0 **

ok, let me see if i get this right.

if, .00005 is fifty millionths
    then, .000005 is five millionths
    and, .0005 is five hundred millionths?

and, .000045 is fourty five millionths

and, .000455 is four hundred fifty five millionths?

how about .004, thats four thousandths. then .04 is fourty thousandths?

*brain swelling*
    *emergency shutdown*
    *turn off computer*
    *administer cold beer(s)*