Thread: ahhh, vacation is coming...

Post ahhh, vacation is coming...

http://www.bikeschool.com/frame.htm

my summer vacation from college has finally begun, only six weeks late. summerschool ended on thursday and for two weeks starting sunday, i'll be up in oregon doing the chromoly TIG welding frame course at united bicycle institute. the manager at the shop i work at sure gave me a dirty look when he found out that my "vacation" from work is going to another shop to do more "work" for fun.

my boss was more excited about it, though, because he says when i come back i can do up some mounts for his fancy new fox shox on his sandrail. the shop i work at kicks butt.
    -paul

tattoomike68 Guest

hmmmmm welding up bikes..

I have a bunch of bikes I was wanting to chop 2+ up and build a bicycle built for two from them or maybe a build a bicycle built for three.

I asked my old boss about that and he built a build a bicycle built for three, I think it would be cool to have one built for three.

what do you think? gas weld them or can I use a wire feed? I dont have a tig.

if it ain't tig, use filleted brass brazing. they've been doing bike frames that way since before tig existed...
    -paul

tattoomike68 Guest

thanks.

I think I can weld good enough to hold, but wonder how tires will hold up with our fat butts.

the girlfriend and I plus the 10 yo kid will weigh about 640 lb, I might have to pump the tires up to the max.

lol

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tattoomike68:
    thanks.

I think I can weld good enough to hold, but wonder how tires will hold up with our fat butts.

the girlfriend and I plus the 10 yo kid will weigh about 640 lb, I might have to pump the tires up to the max.

lol
    </font>
    i've got a friend who's about 325 and he jumps bmx bikes with us. i'm sure all of his weight coming out of the air and landing on little 20" tires is a heck of a lot more than ~650 without the jumping and he's never killed any tires yet.
    -paul