Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jet 1340 lathe

Post jet 1340 lathe

Help! I am in the process of ordering a new jet 1340 gear head lathe--I have read some 'not so good' comments about the unit. Did I make a mistake? What do ya'll think of this lathe? Any comments would be more than welcome!
    Thanks,
    Don, (Nashville,Tn.)

tattoomike68 Guest

If it were mine I would be thrilled.

I like old iron but also like new machines with a warranty that have never been crashed or abused.

my next lathe I will plan on a DRO for it.

Joe Hartson can tell you a lot about that machine. I have a similar one that is an early 14X40...supposed to be! It is the same as a 13X40 but it has the swing etc of the 14. Same weight etc. It is a decent, roughly made machine that has required work. If I had it to do over I would have bought a 14X40 that weighs in the 2000 pound range. That being said...this thing turns circles around my ol' Southbend.
    I'm starting to like it just fine though. It gets better with every small improvement.
    Lots of power to run carbide and a decent size splindle bore.
    I like the D-nose and carriage switch.
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

I have spent some time in front of one and was impressed overall. There are some limitations, expect the main spindle to leak ($3 seal to fix), expect to scrape the 3 jaw chuck in to reduce run-out, expect the face plate to be a nice boat anchor, or face it off to your machine. I've seen them for about $3k with cabinet.

Like I said, all in all I was impressed with what you get for the money. Of course my experience has strictly been hobby based.

Axel

I've had my 13 x 40 for a couple of years. Looked for american iron for quite a while here in Albuquerque. Nice ones were worth a fortune to the sellers and the reasonable priced lathes were junk. As fencepost said the faceplate has to be turned to your lathe. My motor died about a year after I bought the lathe . The Jet folks replaced it with no questions. Turned out to be the capacitor which I replaced. Now I have a new backup motor in the attic. Right now the saddle is off while I modify it for a saddle lock that can be easily reached. I added a KDK toolpost which made life so much easier. All in all I like the machine. I have been toying with the idea of adding a DRO this winter. So far I haven't hurt myself or anyone else. Crashed it once while trying to part off a piece. Stuff happens!
    Pat
    WANNABE

I go with Pat including the motor problem almost to the day. I just added a DRO and for the money this lathe is not bad. I did my own truing up and made some adjustments but no complaints. I have two other machines (Amarikan one larger and one smaller) as well but this one gets the workout most of the time. Don't worry and go for it.

I like my 13X40 jet lathe. I purchased it around 1982. The motor gave up but that may have been due to the electrical service that I had to put up with at that time.

The only other problem was just last year the bearing in the idler gear went bad.
    Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Once you get your lathe and start using it you will probably find out that it will need some tuning up. If you have any questions about problems you may encounter I might be able to help you. I have had my lathe almost completely apart to fix problems and make it work better. It is pretty good now but still have things come up that cause problems.

Latest problem was a creeping dial on the cross slide. The design is poor in my opinion and if you get any oil in the handle and adjustable dial it will slip if you move it quickly. I may drill mine and use a set screw to lock the dial in position. Present design is two balls that are spring loaded and run in a square groove. Point contact only.

Joe

Thanks for all the input. You guys are the best! My first lathe experience was a 9"SB-my Dad's lathe...The 1340 will be replaceing my 1977 Jet 1024. Think I may have the only one of those left in the world! I must say that the old 1024 has been a very good machine--I didn't hurt it to much over the years, and it survived my 3 son's use/abuse.
    --I bought the 1340. Now all I need to do is explain to the wife why 'we' need this! I'm sure some of you have been there/done that!
    Thanks again
    Don in Nashville

Don, I purchased a Select 1024 about 1981, and it was (AFAIK) identical to the Jet. That is now in a friend's hands as his first lathe.

cheers,
    Michael