Thread: HOMEMADE DIES

Post HOMEMADE DIES

NOT SURE IF THIS IS THE CORRECT PLACE TO ASK THIS, BUT HERE GOES.
    A FRIEND IS MAKING A SET OF DIES TO STAMP LOUVERS IN SHEET METAL AND HE WANTS ME TO HARDEN THEM FOR HIM [I AM A PART TIME KNIFE MAKER] WHAT I NEED TO KNOW IS WHAT HARDNESS SHOULD A SET OF DIES BE. THE STEEL IS O-1 AND THE SIZE IS 1/4 X 5/8 X 6" AND 1/4 X 3/4 X 6". THANKS FOR ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS ABOUT THIS .
    LARRY

Talking

sorry my mistake my eyesights getting worse thought you were advertising home made pies Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

"It all depends." See if you can find a copy of "Tool Steel Simplified," put out by the Carpenter Steel Company. I'm virtually certain it's out of print, but used copies are around. It will explain the "it all depends" a lot better than I can.

Since I assume the sheetmetal being stamped is pretty mild stuff, I doubt you need the dies too hard. I know almost nothing about die design though.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Won't be much about 0-1 in that book, I have a copy. Unless they updated it more recently, mine has other names for steel types.

Plus, they make the point that composition AND treatment of the steel BOTH have a large effect on the performance. So something close in composition may be widely different in actual performance.

Theoretical hardening temp should run according to composition, though, THAT is in the book IIRC.

worked in a sheet metal shop for years. Many times regular cold rolled steel was used for press brake dies. But then to make louvers you are not bending, but punching. to do a few, you may not have to harden at all for light gage steel, maybe .030 or less, but for long use or heavier material, you probably need close to 50 to 60 Rockwell (C).
    Very much the same as for any other punching operation. They are not to be "glass hard" but harder than "flame hardened" dies.
    gvasale

Someone (I think maybe Metal Mite) showed engine louvers he had made. Maybe he could advise you on this. Cute little switcher.