Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT SHOP HEAT

Post OT SHOP HEAT

Winter is on its way can members share their shop heat methods with others(waste oil solar etc) the increase in energy prices is huge any ideas on home built systems you may have am sure other members would be interested if you can share ideas.

------------------

mm curvin

mm curvin

IOWOLF Guest

THIS THREAD COMES UP EVERY FALL. search the archives.

BTW. I use wood,solar, and propane as a last resort.My shop has spray on,fire resistant, insulation.I can heat it with a meal of beans.

Hey,
    Last year I ran a natural gas line from the kitchen to my garage. I have a flexible umbilical which attaches to a mobile gas stand-alone heater. I can fire it up and in half an hour be hot. It has a thermostat so it can be adjusted. Then it is stored out of the way for the summer. Wish it had done it 30 years ago. Works super. Fred

I use a 400,000 btu propane space heater to
    knock the frost off, and then just tough it out from there. More clothes will help. It also helps to do my welding and metal casting in the mornings.

Ross
    GUNS Don't kill people
    Drivers using cell phones do.

I'm using wood stove up here in Buffalo area but it only works really well on weekends when I can fire up in morning and spend the day out there. Getting home at 5pm and then fireing up don't leave much quality shop time with heat! I hope to run a Nat gas line someday to the shop so I can call home, tell SWMBO my plans to work in the shop and have her flip the switch. If that happens I'll be looking for a small used Reznor heater. Shop has 6" insulation in it but the windows (old barn) are still a weak point in energy conservation. As I have air conditioner and don't need to open them, I figured on one day nailing a glass panel over them on the inside for stop drafts and offer a small degree of insulation. The idea worked on my old shop pretty well.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

My workshop-to-be will be on the smallish side compared to a lot of the people here. Don't laugh too hard but I plan on using a woodstove. I'll have plenty of wood available to me though.

Wood heats twice; once when you cut it and again when you burn it.

I'll put on a long-sleeved shirt for heat if I'm not gonna be working very hard, otherwise short sleeves are sufficient -- Tucson, AZ :-)

Portable propane heater to knock the chill off in the mornings.
    Michael

i use a portable kerosene heater 100,000 btu it heats up fast and you point it where yopu need it. but with the price of kero up i mat have to go to a coal stove. i want to use a wast oil when i get the new shop done.

I installed an unvented wall-mount propane heater in my shop. Worked great at heating, but added humidity and traces of other combustion products to the air. None of these were hazardous as the shop had enough fresh air exchange. However, over time everything in the shop accumulated a film of the stuff and rust or oxidation is evident on some tools and parts. Certain plastics discolored also. I suspect that the same thing may happen with any open flame unvented type of heat; kerosene natural gas or propane.
    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~