Thread: Speed of plasma-cutting torch table?

Post Speed of plasma-cutting torch table?

I am gearing my cnc'ed table up.. what speed is a torch-flame cutter run at most the time, say 3/8" metal.. 10ipm? 20?

And a plasma? about as fast as you can drag it?

I added in some gearboxes and now have to correct the speed.

David

Never mind.. I knowed it was high, 120ipm is a normal speed of a plasma cutter.. I will gear up for that 75% range.

I found it on the hypertherm site.

Speed is dependant to some degree on the amperage of your plasma power supply.
    I run a Pakmaster 75 from thermal dynamics, and my speeds are about as follows-
    16ga- 80ipm to 100ipm
    1/8"- 50ipm to 70ipm
    1/4"-30ipm to 40ipm
    1/2"- 10ipm to 20ipm.

these are all speeds for mild steel.
    Speed is affected by how new your tip is, and how many piercings it has done- a new tip will run much faster, until it becomes an old tip- then you have to slow it down.
    Speed is also affected by the shape you are cutting- a straight line can be run the fastest, while complicated curves need to slow down, at least on my machine.

I delivered a pallet load of washers back to the laser company tonight and took my 9 year old grandson with me.
    Got permission to take him inside, health and safety and all that, to show him the machines cutting.
    These are all Swiss Bystronic machines from 3 to 4.5 Kw.
    The smaller one also has a reversed footprint to go faster, it's longer than it is wide so it doesn't crab.

This was cutting 16G control cabinet panels tonight and because it was nice material and easy cuts they had the stop right back.

Cutting was at 800in/min and rapids was at 2,400 in/min
    This was the first time I have ever seen the rapids displayed on these, normally they are greyed out on the control.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

John:

The welding robots could move excess of 1200ipm.. They were dangerous to be around.
    Possible to get stuck through the middle with a tig-torch or a mig.
    They move quick.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 08-23-2005).]