Thread: "roughing" endmill on a mill/drill

Post "roughing" endmill on a mill/drill

Are roughing endmills any advantage on a low power machine like a mill/drill? Do they allow a deeper cut?

I would not use a Rougher in a Mill/Drill.. That rougher puts a big load on spindle bearings, as well as the entire machine. Also, roughing mills tend to pull themselves down...The only way I will use them in a Bridgeport, is to put them in a Weldon-type adapter. (Type with a setscrew)

Roughers work great and I encourage folks to use them whenever possible. Though they are designed to remove large amounts of material quickly, they also require less horsepower. On our manual mills, we secure using either collets or EM holders. On our CNC mills we use primarily EM holders, but have had much success with ER colletes as well. Of course, you must know and keep in mind the limitations of your equipment. In most cases the rougher will run with little to no chatter or squeling due to the chip breaking capabilities of the cutter.
    Northern Maine Community College
    HAAS Technical Education Center

Mill/drill + roughing end mills...best thing since sliced bread. They cut so much easier that they seem to make up for some of the shortcomings of the m/d.
    I do use Weldon holders though.
    And now I only buy Niagra cutters. They last longer.
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

tattoomike68 Guest

you can get smaller roughers in the 1/4"-1/2" range that will work just fine.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Would you suggest the "coarse" or the "fine" roughers?