Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hammerite paint?

tattoomike68 Guest

Is this forum mess up?

Norman Atkinson Guest

Wouldn't know, Mike.

The last miracle came out the East- and I missed it. Maybe, it is coming out of the West and I don't want to miss it this time.

Meanwhile, eh?

Norm

Post Hammerite paint?

I notice that some people like to use "hammerite" paint on their shop made tools and such.

Is this some sort of high durability paint or something? Is it spray on, or brush on? Is it available through retail outlets like HD or Lowe's? Don't suppose it costs .99 a can like the flat-black spray paint I get from HD?

What do you use to paint your shop made tools, fixtures, gadgets etc? Do you spray them or brush them?

Thanks
    Wayne

For the big items like the Gantry, E-wheel, Stands, Power Hammers, Frame jigs, etc. I use automotive paint with hardener. It stands up almost as well as powder coat. For small stuff, I just use a rattle can or powder coat depending on use or time. I've even ground and polished a few to look like chrome.

I've never used the hammer tone or the wrinkle. I don't particularly like the look. A nice shinny tool floats my boat.

Norman Atkinson Guest

Wayne02,
    Keep your money in your pocket and go the way the professionals go.

I've tried to use the stuff since it was made just round the corner from me- 50 odd years ago. I find it continues to fail me.

Trash can, Poubelle, Bin Day on Friday.
    Thanks for reminding me.

Norm

The virture of Hammerite is that it covers ugly well, is foolproof to apply, easy to patch.

The vices are is the stuff is soft and easily marked up, sags like crazy if you're not careful, and it's expensive for what you get.

I prefer a common alkyd enamel for most paint work. It's much more durable and its easy to patch and touch up. It's also low in cost.

I know lots of people like catlyzed finishes but with shop tools the paintwork is always getting beat up or eroded with the chip wash. It's a PITA to catylize paint just to touch up a little spot with. With alkyd you can prep the patch, skim off the rind out of the paint can, and brush on a patch before you close the shop for the night. The alkyd paint will be a bit soft but ready the next morning.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wayne02:
    Is this some sort of high durability paint or something?</font>
    Not particularly durable, no. Its chief advantage is entertainment - it's the only paint I know that doesn't just sit there. The hammer stuff spits and fizzes for a minute or so after being sprayed on, as it generates the texture. For paint, that's pretty entertaining.

It's much more durable if you bake it after it dries.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sauer38h:
    I know that doesn't just sit there. The hammer stuff spits and fizzes for a minute or so after being sprayed on, as it generates the texture. For paint, that's pretty entertaining. </font>
    Well put, Mr Sauer!!

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 02-06-2006).]

Norman Atkinson Guest

Oh, Yeah?

Mine was baked in the Mediterannean sun and peeled and fell off.

Hammer(sh)ite?

Norm

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sauer38h:
    Not particularly durable, no. Its chief advantage is entertainment - it's the only paint I know that doesn't just sit there. The hammer stuff spits and fizzes for a minute or so after being sprayed on, as it generates the texture. For paint, that's pretty entertaining.

It's much more durable if you bake it after it dries.

</font>
    Well, we were going to the theatre next weekend but maybe our entertainment plans are changing!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.