Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New? CNC Mill Design

Post New? CNC Mill Design

Saw this one on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7552074104&indexURL=0# ebayphotohos ting
    http://www.tormach.com/

Any body know any thing about these guys. I am assuming thatn the basic machine is Asian but?????

[This message has been edited by Spin Doctor (edited 10-09-2005).]
    The optimist says the glass is half full, the pessimist says it's half empty. The paranoid in me says somebody put a hole in it.

Remember pessimists are at heart opptomists. They know things can and will get worse.

I think they were talking about the same mill here
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Fo...ML/013778.html
    FuQ

Thanks
    The optimist says the glass is half full, the pessimist says it's half empty. The paranoid in me says somebody put a hole in it.

Remember pessimists are at heart opptomists. They know things can and will get worse.

At only $6800 it's hard to imagine it being a really great machine.

Quick! Hide this from Adrian. Hell have one by the end of the week
    Techno-Anarchist

If you read through the write up, they state the machine is made in China with US supplied electronics. Tormach makes a very nice rapid tool changer (manual) for R8 spindles that is fairly inexpensive and is featured on this machine. The tool holder fits in the spindle and tools can be rapidly (seconds) popped in and out for serial operations. Cost in the sub $500 range with lots of tool holders.
    Steve

[This message has been edited by sch (edited 10-09-2005).]
    Steve

Hmm...
    For us home-shop non industrial types, $6800 is still a lot of money... but it looks pretty good (given the size) for a lot of stuff. At least for stuff I do (or would like to).

Another couple years, if and when they drop to sub $5000, maybe I'll be able to afford one...

Paul F.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Paul F:
    Hmm...
    For us home-shop non industrial types, $6800 is still a lot of money...
    </font>
    agreed Paul, I don't think the comment is belittling the amount money, but rahter comment on the nature of a cnc machines the $$$ it takes to make a decent cnc mill is much greater than what it takes to make a decent manual mill, so there's disbelief that its much good for $6k. for example, most would want ground ball screws, zero backlash nuts, precisions mounting blocks etc - that alone can be a couple of grand per axis.

the diy that wants a serious machine takes an old bridgeport or something and converts it sourcing the expensive stuff on ebay - my guess is you'd get several magnitudes better a machine afterwards than this puppy.

I like the "photograph of ...the resulting work." Sure looks like a rendered drawing to me. Either that or the thing can sandblast, too.

Doofus looking little bugger....wonder if the designer is the grandson of whoever designed the US Burke mill ?

Yeah the finished part example does look a bit like the ones Roger Rabbit ordered from Toontown.