Thread: Birmingham CT-1440G - Reviews?

Question Birmingham CT-1440G - Reviews?

Seen many ??s about 12x36 lathes from Harbor Freight and others. Hard to tell by catalog pics, but most of these lathes look like they come from same factory. I question Chinese quality, especially the materials used. Looked at HF lathe, price is good, hoped for better feel.

Long way to my question. Anyone have experience with the CT-1440 from Birmingham? They go to great lenths to say this machine is made in Tiawan. (Alittle mor expensive too.)

Thanks
    uute

Hi
    I can not speak on the lathe CT-1440,but I did buy a lathe from Birmingham(C.P. Tools)back in '96.It was a 15x50 Colchester copy.I used it for 3 years and had no problems with it.Traded it in on a TOS.As far as I know it is still working.The new owners had trouble with it,shifting fork I think.But I know that they used it VERY hard.
    It was made in China and for the price it was not too bad, but it was NOT near as good as the used 15x50 Colchester I picked up ~ 1.5 Years ago.
    Hope this is of some help
    e
    please visit my webpage:
    http://motorworks88.webs.com/

uute,
    I had a Birmingham CT-1440G lathe. I liked it a lot, the only problem was that I outgrew it. (that was my fault) That's why I don't have it any more.
    It was a really nice lathe. I only had 1 small part go bad, and it was my fault. (was cleaning it, and dropped the switch) The service impressed me. I called and ordered the part, and it was here the next day!
    I did get another Birmingham lathe, so I must like them a lot.
    The new one I bought is also made in Taiwan. It is a Birmingham LUX-1660T lathe.
    This lathe is as good as any other machine on the market.
    However, I can't say that the Chinese made Birmingham machines are bad. I went to a place in Western Pennsylvania to look at a few of the machines in person. Most machines were made in china, and I have to tell you, They looked pretty darn good too. The place that I bought my CT-1440G from is also who I bought my LUX-1660T from. Maybe you can talk to him. He is very good with the machines, and his service is great. He also gave me an excellent deal on my CT-1440G for a trade in. Maybe he still has my old lathe for sale, you can ask him. It is in great shape, I take great care on my tools.
    He was also much cheaper than others on the price. I saw the CT-1440G for as high as $4500.00, but he was way cheaper than that. His number is 412-220-3082 if you want to call him, and email is mnadeja@bellatlantic.net. Please mention that Brian Olshesky told you to call him, the guy who traded in a CT-1440G. I plan to buy a mill in the next year, and will buy a machine for sure from Matt.

Thanks Guys,

I doubt I'll ever tax a 14" lathe, but poor quality tools give me heartburn! : )

uute

Ps: Chipmaker, I may well call Matt, I'll let you know if I buy from him! Tanks agin

Default Birmingham CT1440G

I have a CT1440G, one of the last imported by CP Tools that was made in Taiwan. I bought it through Smith-Hamilton located in Florida in August of '09. It was a "show" demonstrator machine. The lathe is accurate within specs and I can get less than 0.001 inch taper in 18 inches. I could probably adjust this done to less than 1/2 thou. Overall the machine is a good value for the price. I elected to add an angle iron/plate armature to the front plinth, and flat bar to the chip pan, which made the stand very robust.
    I would think that if used hard in a production shop this lathe would not deliver. For my home shop use it is fine, I am spoiled now that I can dial in to a thou. The chucks were made in mainland China, but they are OK. The steady and follower rest(s) are crude by comparison to the rest of the machine; the steady rest can only accommodate about a 2-1/2 inch diameter shaft. I had CP Tools replace the follower rest; it did not match the center lines of the machine. They also provided a new carriage lock which was missing. Service was good. The manual was unreadable, it was honestly humorous. The carriage apron has no oil reservoir, which I find odd for a machine this size. I think the Grizzly 14 inch has a different bed and a better carriage. Hope this assists anyone looking at this particular machine. Don't buy one that has been run to the max. For typical home shop or light toolroom use, this is a good value lathe.

Octane I think you are about eight years late on this one?