Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminum cutting and tapping fluid

Post Aluminum cutting and tapping fluid

I usually use WD-40 for cutting and tapping aluminum and it works well. Disadvantages are it's quite flammable, it stinks and it's hard to control from the spray cans.

I found a product today and have been testing it tonight, tapping and cutting. It seems to work very nicely. It is totally odorless, slightly higher viscosity than WD-40 and about the same price. It comes in a more controllable trigger spray bottle. It is crystal clear and non-toxic. The active ingredient is isoparaffin. It is basically very thin mineral oil. It is flammable but I tested that and it is much less volatile than WD-40.

The product is called Snow Shooter and is used to stop snow from sticking to snow plows and snow shovels etc. Cost is about $6.00 cdn for half a liter. Probably not available in Florida...

http://204.202.239.40/index.php?cPat...e=New+Products
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

I use lamplight farms lamp oil when working aluminum. It is cheep and works well it is clear and wont stain.

I started using WD-40 for aluminum because I had it. I had previously barbecue used barbecue lighter fluid or kerosene, but WD-40 was more convenient, and smelled better. They all worked equally well.

If odor is a problem, odorless mineral spirits is available in most paint departments and mineral spirits is the operative in WD-40. I do use a pump spray bottle, not the aerosol can as it is much cheaper in bulk.
    Jim H.

I find "odorless" kerosene to be the cat's meow. It's sold for use in indoor kerosene heaters. I got a jug of it from Home Hardware but I believe Crappy Tire sells it as well as Home Depot.

I don't use very much so can't vouch how easily it would evaporate if one slathered it on but the finish rivals that of "Tapmagic" and there is no stink.

Regards,

Geoff.

Evan, Some lamp oils are iso-parrafin. Might be a cheaper way to get it. I'm going downstairs right now to try it

What is it that makes WD-40 and very low viscosity "oils" work on AL? Is it the size of the molecules?

Because my basement machine shop / family rec area has begun to smell like 98% machine shop / 2% rec area, I've thought about testing plain old mineral oil too ... totally odorless and probably good for your hands.

I'm a far cry from a safety freak but if you're working with any atomized oils or solvents, be careful to avoid inhaling them. Nasty stuff on your breathing cells. The pump sprayers are much better than the aerosols for this reason.

Den

Swarf&Sparks Guest

On the other hand, you can get bacon fat (almost) anywhere

WD-40 also is an absorbed accumulatave poison that is absorbed through the skin so prolonged contact is not a good idea

Matt in AK
    Matt in AK

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Swarf&Sparks:
    On the other hand, you can get bacon fat (almost) anywhere </font>
    Hmmmm.....my neighbor has a pot bellied pig.....that might give me a 50 pound supply....Hmmmm

IOWOLF Guest

Wink

Matt, you miss the point, you are supposed to put it on the aluminum not yourself.

WD can be some wickid ****, but so can any thing,Too much water will drown you.

------------------
    The tame Wolf !

Swarf&Sparks Guest

Way cool Lee! Just send me all that waste pork when ya finish rendering