Thread: Shaper Tips

Post Shaper Tips

Could someone clear up some confusion on the method of cutting internal keyways mentioned in the Oct/Nov issue of "Machinist's Workshop". How do you keep the tool from dulling on the push stroke, since the claper is set to rise or am I missing something?
    Also what is the best method of cutting a precise profile or a step on a shaper? Cut to a scribed line?

------------------

For cutting internal keyways, you lock the clapper down. There should be an Allen screw or equivalent on the side.

hwevers

SO! That is why that is there! I have a lot to learn! I have usualy cut to a scribed line and then fit the last with a file but If I were to spruce up my machine I guess I could be more precise. Only the tool screw is graduated. With a guard and dust collection I would like to try my tool post grinder on the shapper if I had a quick grinding project.

If you look at Rudy Kouhoupt's VHS/DVD "film" on Operating a Shaper, towards the end he cuts an internal keyway - without locking down the clapper. And if it’s good enough for the Craftmaster, it’s good enough for me. :-)

The thing I learned in the '60s about shapers and keyways is it is more efficient to cut the keyway UP. Yip, clapper box and clapper in standard vertical position, but the cut of the bit is UPwards. It reduces chatter for some reason. I did lock the clapper then, but not when cutting a keyway in the normal position - which sometimes had to be used becasue of the nature of the workpiece.

He also produced "6 Projects for the Shaper", both from New Life Video Productions, http://www.bay-com.com/index.php?mai...=index&cPath=6

Stan
    Stan

Wink

I wouldn't try cutting a keyway on a undercut, or stepped bore(bigger in the middle) of the bore such as on a large double suction impellers, or a previous keyway that had set screw holes in it. I have cut many, many keyways with the clapper locked, the cutter only went where I allowed it to go.

------------------
    Doug
    Doug

Just put the tool in 180 degrees and the clapper wont rise while cutting the keyways.