Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: plastic gibs

Post plastic gibs

I seem to have lost the compound slide gib for my Compact 5. I hate having to spend 11 bucks for a new one (shipping included). Is there a cheaper substitute then a bona fide replacement part? I know that sort of plastic is available (anyone have an extra piece? . Could I simply just face it off in my lathe, and having something comparable to an off the shelf part?

$11 bucks lol just by the damn thing.
    FuQ

Bet he uses tuna fish oil on his ways ...

all the best.mark

$11! the outrage! the cheapest way to make a new one is to find an old railway spike down at the tracks and abrade it against a big 'ole rock until its the right shape.

If the compound is cast iron, use steel or brass. Some hobbyshops stock brass strips. Get some that is about the same thickness as the old gib. Drill dimples in it where the adjusting screws touch. It will work ok.

The Emco is a nice little machine and deserves the $11 (and more) for original parts.

This is one of the problems with buying used machinery from HSMs ... there is a lot of temptation to substitute materials on hand.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nheng:

This is one of the problems with buying used machinery from HSMs ... there is a lot of temptation to substitute materials on hand.
    </font>
    Interesting response. It would seem that a HSM, not being bound by constraints of time and budget would be able to use the best materials for the job, not those that are most economical or lend themselves to the fastest production methods as is most often the case with mass produced machinery.

I always wonder why a HSM asks about parts sources when he has a machine shop at hand to make parts with. For the most part, the average machinist is more than capable of manufacturing his own replacement parts that should be equal to or better than the factory made originals.
    Jim H.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JCHannum:
    Interesting response. It would seem that a HSM, not being bound by constraints of time and budget would be able to use the best materials for the job</font>
    Yes but how many times have you seen a member of this board say he wanted to use his mystery metal/plastic because it was free or really cheap.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JCHannum:
    I always wonder why a HSM asks about parts sources when he has a machine shop at hand to make parts with. For the most part, the average machinist is more than capable of manufacturing his own replacement parts that should be equal to or better than the factory made originals. </font>
    If this part takes no less than 30 minutes to make then go for it, otherwise you are selling your own time short. I understand when a part is hard to get or no longer available. I also understand if it is really expensive, then I might be willing to sell my time short. It is just my opinion though, personally I find gib making pretty boring.
    FuQ

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nheng:
    there is a lot of temptation to substitute materials on hand.</font>
    Hah! Not just "on hand", but already clamped in the vise.

as was pointed out losers, there's no sense in spending money (and waiting for it to be mailed) if it can be made easily. And if a few of you LOSERS would get off the computer and use your damned machinery, it might not seem such an arduous task. I'm frequently amazed at the responses on these boards. How people, with, and I'm giving the benefit of the doubt in an awful big way, much better things to do with their time, take the time to spout such useless drivel, it's beyond me. Now I'll respond individually:

mochinist - you have 2 spelling mistakes in the same sentence. Are you a redneck? And I happen to find you pretty boring.

aboard epsilon - I bet you use tuna oil on yer wife's...o never mind.

McGyver - that is just the most dopey arse reply I've EVER seen.

nheng - what the hell is that username supposed to signify? Never mind, I don't really care.

Thanks to JCHannum and MAC1 for providing intelligent and useful responses.