Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT- Duck Gumbo

BillH Guest

Cool OT- Duck Gumbo

I shot it, plucked it, cleaned it, cooked it. Ahh Duck Gumbo with smoked sausage. Cooked ALL day in the crock pot, still cooking actually.

I wish I could post the lovely smell it has.
    Beats the crap out of the crap you buy at a grocery store. No hormones, very lean, and tastier. Last week of Duck season here, going to go out and get some more.

The last duck I had tasted a little on the sweet side of chicken. Not bad but us Southerners prefer Rattlesnake or Jack Rabbit--No restrictions on hunting season.

Hey, by the way--Did you get your rods? If it's anything like the mail service here during the holidays, you should get in a couple of days.

Hi Bill,
    Looks great! I know how it tastes, been married to a Texan that cooks Cajun style for fifty years.
    Chuck

yeah, where's the cornbread? need a recipe?

Looks good..
    Excuse me, I farted.

I just came down with a little stomach bug, but even so, man that looks good. I wish i had a bowl of it here...

BillH Guest

Ken, I didnt check the mail today, been cooking, and playing with 3d studio max and photoshop. Tommorrow I will definetly check the mail, and go get my 2006 license. Thanks for sending those rods out. Where I live is in suburbia, as soon as I can I am going to move out to the country even if it means losing the cable modem.(Hmm, I better think about that one)

Yankee, I had a small bowl of it, tasted kind of bland, 1 hour ago I added a whole bunch of spices and it tastes much better now. Would love to know the preferred spices for a good gumbo.

Dave, sure, I love recipes, I've only been on my own now since say end of August, I really dont know too much about cooking. I only request that the recipes be all healthy. I do not use butter or salt for anything. Probably why I lost over 60 lbs since end of august. If you have any recipes for duck or Goose, I would love those as well.

FastTrack, it was tons of work but seams worth it. I ate a steel bb too, gotta be more careful or I will chip a tooth.

[This message has been edited by BillH (edited 01-02-2006).]

yeah, cornbread has a lot of oil in it...

1 egg
    2 cups self rising corn meal
    1/2 cup flour
    1/3 cup cooking oil
    buttermilk or milk till thick batter is formed.

scorch lightly oiled iron skillet in oven while heating to 435 degrees..

pour batter into hot skillet, place in oven and cook till browned and knife comes out dry.. Take a fork and go around skillet to make it turn loose, lay big plate on it, invert skillet and it should drop out..

I sometimes put jalepenos and corn in it to give it texture, used to put cracklins in, then I figured out what they were.. NOPE.. not this old boy.. do that before making a batter or it will be too wet..
    Excuse me, I farted.

One Egg! one EGG?! David, me laddie, where on Earth did ye learn to make Cornbread? Certainly not in my part of Southern Appalacia! LOL!

whilst we are at it?

biscuits:

2 cups self rising flour,
    two round t-spoons crisco
    cut that up into the flour w/fork..
    1/2 tspoon baking powder
    dash salt
    milk till you got a thick dough.

flour rolling spot (I use wax paper for cleanup)
    smash them out, cut them w/cup or cutter
    lay them in a pan on the stove to rise while the oven heats up..
    cook till the tops are brown..

Sorry: Youngin... You flour your fingers so the dough does not stick as you manipulate them into biscuits..

I learned how to make biscuits just so I could teach my daughter..

[This message has been edited by David E Cofer (edited 01-02-2006).]
    Excuse me, I farted.

Hi Bill,
    My wife uses "File" Pronounced "Fee Lay" and a shot or two of Tobasco. The File goes
    in last just before serving. The File is dried and ground Sassafras leaf.
    Sure tastes good.
    Chuck