Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3rd time's a charm!

Talking 3rd time's a charm!

Freaking finally!!!

I signed up for the autobody repair class at the community college...again! Lo and behold, they didn't cancel this one like they did the previous 2.

Awesome facilities and the instructor seems like he's going to be great! He used to teach for GM.

The class meets for 3 hours a night, 2 nights a week, for 15 sessions.

Can you tell I'm excited?

Congrats!

Isn't taking an Autobody repair class kind of like taking a C.P.R class(?): It's interesting but you hope you'll never need to use it?

-Adrian
    When in doubt, doubt your doubt.
    www.metalillness.com

Not in my case. I already have a patient ('73 VW Super Beetle) in the hospital (garage) that needs a little TLC.

Definitely no need for intensive care.

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 01-10-2006).]

Thumbs up

Congratulations!

I hope they teach you more than just pull and replace or how to mix bondo.

Yep! We're going to do OxyAcetylene welding, MIG welding, hammers and dollies, leading (demonstration), priming/painting, rust removal, making and installing patches, metal finishing (to the point you don't need filler before painting), and a bunch of other stuff.

Eventually, we'll each get a fender and he'll smack a dent in it for us to repair. Then he'll smack a bigger dent for us to repair. Then he'll knock a hole in it for us to repair.

Then we pair up with someone, each of us cuts off part off the fender, we swap the parts, and then we use each other's part to fix our own fender.

We can bring in stuff from home to work on too.

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 01-10-2006).]

Pgrm:

Where do I drop the trailer off with the old car on it?

Honestly, I started this old car two years ago. I need someone to get behind me and push. I even tried to give it away twice. Now I think again, I may make a family rod out of it.

Excuse me, I farted.

I would have taken Dave but I doubt it would've fit inside the Airstream.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by David E Cofer:
    I need someone to get behind me and push. </font>
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CCWKen:
    I would have taken Dave but I doubt it would've fit inside</font>

When in doubt, doubt your doubt.
    www.metalillness.com

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pgmrdan:

Definitely no need for intensive care.
    </font>

Ohhhhh surrre. You say that now! Just wait until it's all done and you're describing your efforts to those admiring your handiwork.
    Science. If you don't understand it, don't talk to me about how it's going to end the world.

You're right Wirecutter. When it's finished I'll make it sound like I performed dozens of miracles in resurrecting the car from a pile of rusty parts.

Actually, the car has 53,806 original miles on it. 44,490 miles of those were put on it in Brea, CA by a little old lady who passed away a couple of months before I bought it. Yeah, I know, sounds like a bunch of boloney but I have a stack of receipts with her name on them. She would even take the car in to the dealer to have the turn signal light bulb changed when it burned out.

The car is in really good shape to begin with so it really does just need a few little things done here and there. I just want to use it as a daily driver again.

I can pretty much handle the mechanical work but body work has been a mystery to me.