Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cam Lock spindle that much better?

Post Cam Lock spindle that much better?

Is cam lock spindle that much better than standard backplate?

I'm looking at Grizzly G4003 for $2100 with cam lock, and G9249 for $2200 without cam lock but with stand. Maybe it's easier to find aftermarket chucks if I have a cam lock with D1-4?

In my opinion the camlock system is the best of all far superior than screwthread etc.It can be run in reverse without undoing itself also .I have Di-4"camlock on all my chucks Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

BillH Guest

Machining backplates and trying to get them as true as possible is not something I consider to be fun, yet something I must do if I want to have fun on a lathe. If the Camlock backplates require very minor machining to true them up or none at all, from that standpoint alone I would love a camlock chuck mount.

Camlocks rule...simple as that...
    Precision takes time.

My favorites are in order-

Lxx long taper
    A-xx short taper
    camlock
    I just need one more tool,just one!

camlocks are nice.

Weird, what's the reasoning? I've always like the convenience of the cam lock although i've never owned a taper. is it more accurate, and by an amount that would matter...just wondering why that's your preference

For Homeshop use I don't think the Chuck Mount issue is the major one on the choice between these two lathes.

To my way of thinking more important is do you want to have gearhead lathe or belt drive? In my experience belt drive lathes are smoother, quieter, and frequently will give you better surface finish on your work.

On the metalworking newsgroup a Grizzly rep once hinted that he thought the G9249 was the better machine, or maybe that is just the way I read it. Maybe Grizzly could give you some referal for customers with either lathe in your area and you could see them both up close before you choose, maybe even have a chance to run them.

Michael

I've got thread on the small lathe and hate it and cam lock on the big late and love it. Today I cut a taper in reverse on the big lathe, something I can't do on the little lathe with out risking the chuck unthreading.

------------------
    -Christian D. Sokolowski

Cool

The tumble reverse comes in handy when using the threaded mounted chucks. Also turning between centres solves a few more problems in this respect.

Ken
    Ken.