Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marking at 19 3/16" on tape measure...

Post Marking at 19 3/16" on tape measure...

My son pointed out that there is a diamond marked every 19 3/16" on his tape measure. Can anyone enlighten me as to the significance of these marks? Thanks.

x39
    The newer codes for wood frame construction recognize a 19.2" spacing for studding and especially the engineered truss system for floors. 19.2" divides equally into 96". Works OK and saves 1 joist every 8'
    Cam

[This message has been edited by cam m (edited 01-17-2006).]

Phhht. The floor in my house has 2x10 joists on 16" centers. Laid flat on that as subfloor are 2x10 and 2x8 planks. Over that is 3/4" mdf. The floor doesn't wow at all. I could put a Bridgeport in the middle of the living room. Well, in theory I could.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Thanks cam m!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
    Phhht. The floor in my house has 2x10 joists on 16" centers. Laid flat on that as subfloor are 2x10 and 2x8 planks. Over that is 3/4" mdf. The floor doesn't wow at all. I could put a Bridgeport in the middle of the living room. Well, in theory I could. </font>
    Evan... Just put a lamp shade on it and tell the wife it's an industrial inspired design... by Imake Chips. A nostalgic piece with a functional aspects.

[This message has been edited by Tinkerer (edited 01-17-2006).]
    Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

When I moved into my current house, I was a little concerned about setting up my California King size water bed in the master. The water matress is 7x6' by 10". I think I calculated the weight to be a little over 2000 lbs, but then I realized the disbursed weight over many joists is trivial weight.
    When in doubt, doubt your doubt.
    www.metalillness.com

I get a laugh out of the ones marked with 1/2", 1/4" and 1/8" divisions numbered.

Granted, I like my Starrett scales where the 32nd's and 64th's are marked at their corresponding 1/8" invervals.

Maybe it is just me, but what ever happened to actually LEARNING how to READ a tape measure or a scale?

Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ERBenoit:
    I get a laugh out of the ones marked with 1/2", 1/4" and 1/8" divisions numbered.

Granted, I like my Starrett scales where the 32nd's and 64th's are marked at their corresponding 1/8" invervals.

Maybe it is just me, but what ever happened to actually LEARNING how to READ a tape measure or a scale?

</font>
    That went out with actually learning to read

I just need one more tool,just one!

Pretty soon tape measures will be talking to you, and math skills won't be needed at all. Hah.
    By the way, what's a sixteenth? Can't see that small anymore, and yer talking 64ths

[This message has been edited by darryl (edited 01-17-2006).]
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

In school I never learned how to read a tape measure. We had 12" rulers, mostly used the 30cm side. I learned to read a ruler because my dad is a carpenter. I think 80% of the population can only read to the half inch. Reading a quarter or less is asking WAY too much. My dad also taught me to read a mic. I found the info on how to read a vernier and tought myself. Verniers are still a pain to read, even with good eyesight. Some people at work actually wanted a raise in pay for learning to read a dial cal. Dreamers. I do have a dim view of people in society in general. I think it is because people keep proving my assertions correct. If you are the exception, please take no offense. If you are a follower and question nothing, have a nice life. We should all get busy and make something and learn something. Sorry, what was the question? --Doozer

[This message has been edited by Doozer (edited 01-17-2006).]