Thread: Indexing Plates

Question Indexing Plates

I have noticed a variety of articles over the years that show how to make your own indexing heads and plates. I am set up for doing the actual work but I don't know what constitutes a set of "standard" indexing plates. There appears to be a standard set of three. Does anyone know if this is true and if so what hole circles are on each plate in a standard set.

Nathan

Hi
    your standerd set is for 3,4,6,12. hole patterns you can make one plate to do a number of things. but the key is are you going to make gears or drill holes with your indexer. if you are going to make gears you need o lot more spaces 36 gives you 10 deg's. so think about what you are going to do with it and remember you can alwas make more plates. hope that help's

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nmdeselle:
    I have noticed a variety of articles over the years that show how to make your own indexing heads and plates. I am set up for doing the actual work but I don't know what constitutes a set of "standard" indexing plates. There appears to be a standard set of three. Does anyone know if this is true and if so what hole circles are on each plate in a standard set.

Nathan
    </font>
    Standard set known as Browne and Sharpe set is three plates.
    Plate 1 has :- 15,16,17,18,19,20
    Plate 2 has :- 21,23,27,29,31,33
    Plate 3 has :- 37,39,41,43,47,49

These are normally used in conjunction with a 40:1 worm and wheel.

------------------
    Regards,
    John Stevenson,
    Nottingham, England

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.