Thread: Snow blower Project

Post Snow blower Project

Hey Guys...

I have been busy doing this!

http://bbssystem.com/viewtopic.php?p=4929#4929

Rob

Nice job but why not use a 4-jaw and get it dead center? Also when you say the lathe's faceplate was too big I assume you mean the slots were too far apart for the holes to match? I have a faceplate for my Logan that I made I cut concentric grooves every 1/4" in it and just drill it on my rotary table whenever I need to mount something odd.

------------------
    -Christian D. Sokolowski

Neat project! Now you can walk around with that "I did it myself" feeling which I kinda enjoy. If you work in the trades you may not know that feeling that some of us who don't, do!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Chris,

Yeah that is the problem i had. The slots in my face plate were too wide for the part i was making. I am not as accurate with a 4-Jaw right now. I wanted something i could just align once and be done with it. It worked out. I will have to come up with a steel blank that i can drill holes or slot into for my lathe. Another to do item.

YOD.
    I realy do feel that way. My friends are all amazed but compared to the talent that lies here and other BBS' i feel like small patatoes. Still proud of my work and i know that for me, when i was a newbie, seeing pictures and describing the challenges and success of any project helped.

Next up is something a little cooler

Looks good. I learned a lot on a similar project with help from these guys.

Re: scraping the keyway on a lathe
    1. There must be some way to re-tool to get full depth to eliminate the filing. 2. Someone suggested inserting a scrap of shaft in the hub and drilling out all the waste you can first.
    With hindsight always being 20-20 looks like it might be easier to drill and tap the setscrew hole first then center the keyway on it instead of the other way around.

Re: 4-jaw
    A lot of old machinists have or are using chucks with a million hours and hundreds of crashes on them. A decent, fairly new three jaw should easily produce the accuracy for your project. It's a good idea to check it once in a while though. You will hove plenty of opportunities to learn how to dial in a four jaw without using it when you don't need to.

Once again well done (and well documented) I sure learned something from it. Thanks.

Looks good. I learned a lot on a similar project with help from these guys.

Re: scraping the keyway on a lathe
    1. There must be some way to re-tool to get full depth to eliminate the filing. 2. Someone suggested inserting a scrap of shaft in the hub and drilling out all the waste you can first.
    With hindsight always being 20-20 looks like it might be easier to drill and tap the setscrew hole first then center the keyway on it instead of the other way around.

Re: 4-jaw
    A lot of old machinists have or are using chucks with a million hours and hundreds of crashes on them. A decent, fairly new three jaw should easily produce the accuracy for your project. It's a good idea to check it once in a while though. You will hove plenty of opportunities to learn how to dial in a four jaw without using it when you don't need to.

Once again well done (and well documented) I sure learned something from it. Thanks.

Thanks For the compliment and the hint GKMAN. When i chucked up the part to machine the back it came out to 0.005 TIR. With a little convincing from good old hammer...hehehe I got it to run at 0.002. For me that is great. I do not think it will be a problem at 540 rpms