Thread: Key chuck or keyless on tailstock?

Question Key chuck or keyless on tailstock?

Most of the drill chucks for tailstocks I see are ones that require a chuck key, yet most mills seem to use keyless.

I did buy a rather nice Albrecht copy with an R8 shank for my mill. Weird how it said it was for 1/8" to 5/8", yet the jaws close down all the way, indicating it will take a drill bit smaller than the claimed 1/8th.

Do keyless styles work fine on a 15" lathe tailstock or do I need to go to one with a key to tighten it, considering they seem to be in the same size ranges as albrecht styles?

I have used an Albrecht in my turning center when I did not have right collet and it worked fine. The drills were small around .187.

I exchanged my Jacobs & Rohm key chucks for keyless LFA (French) - never have a problem.

My 1/8" - 5/8" keyless will only go down to 1/8" so I also use a 0 -3/8" keyless.

Some of the keyless chucks have wrench flats to tighten because the chuck also rotates and can loosen if the spindle is reversed.

The only drawback of any kind with a keyless is it's loosening when reversing. As Thrud says, some of the new ones have wrench flats.

I bought a 1/4 albrieght on ebay while back, first keyless I have used that will back out a tap, thing sure does clamp tight.

Have used a Jacobs and Cushman keyless, they suffer from the reversing problem.

Isn't a thing in the world wrong with a ball bearing Jacobs.

But a keyless has one big advantage for people like me, I can't loose the key.

Thumbs up

Hi,
    I agree with all the above. I add that a large key type chuck is a good thing to have also. Use the 0-whatever Albrecht for touchy work and the larger key chuck for real hogging. Make sure the tailstock taper is clean and dry, ditto the taper adapter. One of the fellows at work spun the chuck and really @#%^ the tail stock spindle. Not good!
    enjoy both
    Toff
    To know by reading is different than knowing by doing. OR:
    What you have going into a situation is knowlege..What you have coming out of that situation (providing you survive!) is wisdom.

I use MT shank drills for the bigger holes. I have never had the misfortune of a keyless chuck loosing its grip. I have seen the mess from MT shanks spinning in a tailstock - not pretty.

Thumbs up

I use a 3/8 Albrecht keyless in the tail stock of my Hardinge toolroom lathe every day. Never had a problem(YET). Saves a load of time when center drilling, pilot drilling, drilling, then reaming. I do have a Jacobs Key chuck mounted and ready to go just in case.

------------------
    http://shopdawg.com
    "Smoke is an excellent indication that the electrical problem isn't fixed."
    www.shopdawg.com/rim.html
    From the "Infamous" Rules of Industrial Maintenance

I only use keyless on light duty work--no power tapping------I don't like to abuse the keyless chucks so they are accurate when I need accuracy and repeatability. I use the keyless 1/8 - 1/2 on a 15" lathe all the time and it works just fine. I also use regular jacobs chucks and MT drills. Maybe the keyless is used on milling machines more because it elliminates the chance of throwing a key across the shop if you forget and leave it in the chuck. OUCH...
    Rufus

Ron LaDow Guest

But, Leadscrew,
    No one would leave a key in a chuck... Would they...?

I heard of a guy doing that. It was back in like the 1950s--back in the day. That same guy told me also that "The smeller is the feller".
    Rufus