Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Document on Taper Turning

Glad it worked and you found the articles useful. The latest edition of that book published by TAFE (Technical And Further Education) devotes only a few paragraphs to the same topic.
    What really prompted me to post it was fig 120 on page number 65. I was confused in an earlier post a few weeks back when setting a compound slide on an American lathe at 90 degrees meant the same physical setting on my lathe is 0 degrees. Need to keep this in mind when reading future posts.

model a ,the pages are in order, they just start from the bottom. TT1 - TT17. I liked the way that in the the Ford page TT17, they superimposed a right triangle on the drawing to clarify what was happening.

Gunna, Yes you have to rock it into gear using the chuck. I am used to it now. What I did do was print out a chart of the speeds starting with the lowest RPM and printing the gear lever combination next to that. Hung it on the wall. Now I just look at the speed I want and it shows me the gear lever combination rather than searching through the table printed on the front of the headstock.
    rgds.

------------------
    Michael

Australia

[This message has been edited by miker (edited 08-17-2001).]
    Michael

Australia

retry last post didn't show up.
    Michael

Australia

Post Document on Taper Turning

I just scanned 17 pages of info on Taper Turning that may be of use to other newbies.
    It comes from a 1960's college text book and is quite detailed. I also added one page from the Ford shop Manual explaining the effect of setting the compound slide at 30 degrees.
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v448/mikerr/

Unfortunately they came out a little light on Photobucket but still print off ok. The original scans in my computer are much better.
    I hope the info is useful to someone.

------------------
    Michael

Australia

[This message has been edited by miker (edited 03-03-2006).]
    Michael

Australia

Hmmmmmmmm. Might be nice but all I get is your login screen.

I hoped that I edited the URL before anyone tried it. Try the one that is there now. Sorry. First time I have done this.

------------------
    Michael

Australia
    Michael

Australia

Nope. Ctrl/Refresh didn't bring it up either. Check to see if you have your albums public. It's the only way to let others see them.

Perhaps if you copy and post the url's for each scan. I haven't been able to figure out a way to post a link to any of my albums.

BC
    BC

If ya wannit done your way ya gotta do it yourself.

Just made it public. Thanks for the patience. I am on very slow dial up.
    Please try it now.

------------------
    Michael

Australia
    Michael

Australia

There is some good information in that article, once I figured out that the pages aren't in order. That is a great idea that Ford came up with using the compound for accurate spacer cutting.

Hi Miker,
    You have the same lathe as me,how do you find it, mine is a pain getting into gear, no positive stops for feed speeds, I have maked them with felt pen. thanks for the taper turn info.
    WA