Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT- a skunk under the house.

Got that Sucka! Pulled the trap Yesterday morning to take back to animal control, the dirty skunk stole the bait! Rebaited a little differently and reset the trap. Checked it this morning and I got the little guy! I loaded him into the back of the truck and dropped him about 6 or 7 miles up in the state forest(and across 6 or 7 creeks). I reset the trap and will keep set through the weekend just to make sure there isn't more than one. Went real smooth, no spray, no muss, no fuss. (Thank God!)
    I cut it twice, and it's still too short!
    Scott

Post OT- a skunk under the house.

OK so does any body have any experence their willing to share on this topic? Home made traps, prevention, how they handled it, etc.?
    I might have to move.
    Scott

Throw in a bunch of mothballs. It got rid of the skunk in my barn.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

I had a dirty little bugger under my house once. He sprayed under it too when my dog tried to chase him out.
    This all happened at 2 am.
    I got my paint sprayer out and sprayed a bunch of smelly cellulose lacquer under where he was. He couldn't get out of there fast enough
    The lacquer smell went away in a couple days. Helped mask the skunk smell also.
    I killed the rest of the smell with a couple of treatments of enzymes.
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

What Kind of enzimes did you use Torker?
    Scott

Evan is right. Get a bunch of mothballs and pitch them in around where you can get. If you have an access panel behind the tub, open that and drop some in. Also check for openings around any plumbing locations. (Sink drains, etc.)

Don't try to trap or bait him. If he feels threatened, he'll spray and you'll have a stench for months. I say "he" but it might be a she looking to set up house. Many times, they'll just leave on there own to look for food. Don't leave any dog food out and put trash in the garage or secured storage.

It's some stuff that our big garden center sells in the pet/livestock section.
    You mix it with water and spray it with a sprayer. It works great on skunk and cat smells.
    We run a 40 room motel and sometimes people sneak cats in and you know what happens sometimes.
    The enzymes get rid of the smell(for good) in a day or so.
    I can't remember the name but can find out.
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

After reading your post I made a search on google for "skunk removal" and there is lot of good info there! We had a skunk under our house once and the fire dept chased it out with a smoke bomb. Hope you don't have to get him excited so he thinks he has to defend himself.
    LOL
    Mel

A friend of mine had a cabin up by the Mississippi that had a family of skunks move in under it. He said he tried everything he could think of to move them out, short of dynamite, but without success. Finally, in desperation or maybe inspiration he tossed a bunch of lutefisk underneath, lutefisk being a dried codfish which is reconstituted with a lye preparation and much esteemed, I'm told, in Nordic areas.

Well, it worked like a charm to get the skunks to move out but it created one other problem for him - then he couldn't get rid of the Norwegians. LOL
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Mothballs. Worked for me, and I hit the edges of the yard with them once in a while to keep the cats out of the yard and garden.
    CCBW, MAH