Thread: Bohrenvergnügen

Independent principality of Sinquefieldia (formerly Missouri)

Post Bohrenvergnügen

After a considerable time of home refurbishing (plastering, constructing closet systems, painting, etc), I got back in the shop.

Actually, it was to make a set of closet rod supports, since all we could buy was chineap stuff that didn't fit right.

Anyhow, I had to use the "new" Clausing (Atlas) drillpress for actual work the first time.....

SOOOO much better... That flung-dung one sucked much worse than I thought.

Just had to comment on it
    1530 0149 0201 0215 1121 1612 0211 0207 2140 2167 2177 1605

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 08-18-2001).]

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

bump to top...

I might mention, if you are suffering with a "chineap", shakey, wobbly flung-dung imported drill press, look around for an old industrial one. You will probably be surprised in a very good way.

There is something to be said for having a solidly guided spindle. It allows much more accurate work.

And, re the otehr question regarding milling on a drill press...

The "chineap" ones are so shakey at drilling holes, they are not at all suited to milling. The Clausing has a double-row lower ball bearing that would take a certain amount of milling forces, plus an upper single-row.

Most chineap have only one lower bearing, and rely on the spindle sliding in the drive splines for the rest of the guiding. Not good for milling.

Naturally, you still have the "no drawbar" problem if milling. That's no problem for drilling.

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 03-06-2006).]

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Same with my Strands. However, the Strands also scares me into doing a proper setup with the vise whenever I use it and that also helps with the end result. If it ever grabs a loose piece of work fingers and bones will not stop it from flinging it around for even a moment.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
    If it ever grabs a loose piece of work fingers and bones will not stop it from flinging it around for even a moment.</font>
    Very true....

I got into the habit of clamping stuff with the old import. This one really demands it.

When I bought it, I turned down the "vise on an arm" that it had (seller wanted $50 more for that). Those prevent rotation of the vise, but allow it to be moved anywhere on the table.

A good feature, but of limited capacity, and does not help against the drill pulling up the work due to a chip jam. That can get really scary.

Half the reason I use an x-y table is because the x-y table has real t-slots, where the DP table has the typical open-bottom slots, same as many other older DPs.

My father-in-law typically holds stuff by hand on teh DP, which makes me nervous for anything reasonably lightweight. The worst is thin strap-like material, like 1/8" thick bar.... That BOTH grabs, AND climbs the drill if not restrained...

He has only a little Craftsman floor model, but even it will grab and spin work. I learned long ago that almost any machine is stronger than you are.....

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

LOL...I was just looking at my Horrible Fright drill press and thinking that since the tool floats so well a more appropriate conversion would be a precision honing machine!!!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by J Tiers:
    bump to top...
    snip&gt;&gt;&gt;
    And, re the otehr question regarding milling on a drill press...

The "chineap" ones are so shakey at drilling holes, they are not at all suited to milling. The Clausing has a double-row lower ball bearing that would take a certain amount of milling forces, plus an upper single-row.
    snip&gt;&gt;&gt;
    </font>