Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: drill chuck key

Rich I must have stole them than. Our local ACE hardware had them for almost $3.00.
    Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Post drill chuck key

I bought a new hitachi drill press from Lowe's two months ago and it does not have a chuck key for it. The chuck is a Jacobs knockoff and it says 1-16 mm J3 on it. anyone know where I can buy a chuck key for this? by the way, Hitachi does not, I repeat does not honor their warranties. Mine drill press also came with a damaged and unusable motor in freight and they are uncooperative in replacing it. I bought a new one myself. Beware.

Bring that biatch back to Home Depot and tell them where they can stuff it.
    James Kilroy

yea, I went there and they pretty much told me to stuff it. It was Lowe's by the way. I would love to take it back but it was all could do to put it in the basement, it was in the box then. There is no way I will try to wrestle it back up and try to put it in my car assembled. Im 63!

sailor69 --

The Ace Hardware in my neighborhood has a good assortment of chuck keys, making me think an Ace in your area might have what you're after.

John

Sailor:
    I agree with John check your local Ace Hardware. The one here also has a good asorment of chucks and keys.
    Tin
    Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

We've got a new Lowes in our town.

Looks like I won't be shopping there!

Sailor

I have no idea of your resources and can empathsize re your warranty woes. IF I had the resources, I would take this opportunity to invest in a keyless chuck and arbor for the drill press and be done with the chuck key nonsense forever. I have 4 keyless chucks. The cheaper models on the cordless drills are admittedly of limited merit. The mid range(pricewise) units I have for my 1440 lathe and 17" drill press have convinced me that they're worthwhile. Neither of them have cost more than $80 CDN. Incidentally they WILL tighten up rather than slipping, but I have yet to have to resort to tools to release them using up to 1" twist drills in the lathe.
    Cam
    Yeah, I editted to correct my less than award winning typing.

[This message has been edited by cam m (edited 03-02-2006).]

I have a ACO here, I would guess they are pretty much the same. My concern is; are the chuck keys standard? It does say J3 on the chuck. maybe later I can pop for the keyless chuck. I am spending a lot of cash on this shop so far.Still looking for a 14 in. bandsaw and 6in, jointer. Later I will be looking for a Clausing 8520 mill.

J3 is probably the Jacobs Taper of the chuck mount and not related to the key size. If the chuck follows Jacobs practice, measuring the hole for the key and buying one with that diameter pilot should get you a key that fits.
    Jim H.