Thread: Power feed question

Post Power feed question

Hi Guys,

Maybe a stupid question, but I souldn't engage the leadscrew's forward/reverse gears on my Craftsman lathe while it's running, should I?

I'm pretty sure it's okay to engage the actual longitudinal powerfeed and crossfeed while it's running.....but sometimes I realize that I want to use the powerfeed while I have it already running....I shouldn't just move the lever from neutral into fwd or rev....should I? (it doesn't sound like I should)

Like I said, maybe a dumb question, but I know myself, if I see a "do" or "do not" on here, it usually makes a firmer brain connection for me and I usually follow that while in the shop.....left to my own devices, sometimes I'll get lazy and shift on the fly unless told not to.

Thanks y'all.

John

If you mean the tumbler gears that reverse the leadscrew or feed rod then no,not a good idea.One little slip and those straight cut spur gears will take on a helical pattern all the're own.

That's where it's nice to have a clutch and brake on a machine.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Thanks Wierd...I thought as much, but now I won't leave it up to my discretion.

John

This is kinda like jacking the drive wheels of your car off the ground and trying to shift from a forward gear to reverse without the clutch. It might go in if your determined, but it sure isn't going to do it any good.

[This message has been edited by Carl (edited 03-16-2006).]