Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: barrel fluting

c&smachine Guest

Post barrel fluting

I would like info on the hardness of gun barrels, steel and stainless steel. I have some people that want me to flute target rifle barrels. Any and all info appreciated.
    Cap

Rifle barrels have to be drilled reamed and rifled. Also chambered, then turned to shape. they all machine very well. I have fluted a number of them. Paul

Fluting is a yes, no, maybe operation. People fall on every side of the issue, and for different reasons. Take a trip to the Shilen, Hart, Pac-Nor, Lilja etc. sites to get a perspective.
    If you have no experience in these matters, spend some time considering how deep the flute will be vs. remaining metal. Mike

I myself would be interested in how to rifle a barrell.....

Although i am absolutely not In to guns, the knowledge would be very useful...

thanks.
    brent

Talking

Brent,

I was interested in how barrels are made so bought a book from Brownell's that claimed to provide all the secrets. It does. The book is "Barrels and Actions" by Harold Hoffman.

It describes the tools, techniques, and history. Great informative reading.

------------------
    Craig
    Craig

thanks Craig....when I get some time I will look for this book..

brenb
    brent

I have seen several different methods. I just got an old (Sept. 1939) Model Engineer. Fellow there was rifling a model naval gun with a rack & pinion and taper attachment affair hooked to a bench alongside the lathe. You had to see it.

If you are determined enough to do something, there are many ways to accomplish it.
    Jim H.

Do you guys ever get any distortion of the bore when doing your flutes? Do you cut them in a certain order, like tightening lug nuts? Have to use sharp tools I suppose. Did some work on some guys muzzle loader years ago(bull barrel). That bore was 1/8" out from the od.
    Never fluted a barrel like that. Just curious.
    Wire cut e.d.m.ing invar at work just now.
    Supposed to be a stable material.
    It warps to he-- and back again.
    Metal mite

Guy Lautard offers a vidio on making a gun barrel making machine. I hear that it is very informative but I haven't seen it. Go to his web site for more information. WALT WARREN

You should check with batf to see if, and what class liscense you need to do this work.
    Cover your behind before you start.
    And if you screw it up, who eats it.
    Kapullen