Thread: plans for scratch built traction tractor

Post plans for scratch built traction tractor

I am looking for plans for a small working steam traction tractor that can be built from scratch "no castings or kit" can anyone help with something from the US? thank you Tom

Rudy Kouhoupt sells plans of a scratch built traction engine he publishd in Popular Mechanics many years ago. He will have them at the NAMES show at the end of the month, or you may be able to contact him through HSM/Live Steam.
    HSM also has plans for the Bill Harris steam roller. These are well done and make up to a nice model. It uses some castings, but I scratch built mine.

[This message has been edited by JCHannum (edited 03-30-2003).]
    Jim H.

There's a yahoo group that has some downloadable plans...may or may not have what you're looking for. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mlprojects3/

Along this line:
    I spend the fourth of july at a place near home, That host "The old thrashers reunion" Tons of tractors, engines and about any type of home built machine you can imagine.
    My question is related to something i seen there, Guys have built smaller replicas of the old john deer GP tractors. They are drivable little models powered by a side shaft briggs and stratton 3-5hp engine. With fake flywheels like the hit-miss engines that they represent. They are really cute and fully functional as far as riding them they ride in the parade etc.
    My question is does anyone have plans for such a tractor. They look pretty basic, briggs engine, chain drive centrificul clutch etc. like a giant go-cart. But where would you find the odd sizewheels and tires, and things like that ? Anyone seen these things ?

Here's the link to an antique tractor site http://www.ytmag.com/index.htm
    I came across & bookmarked it some time ago, but haven't been back to check it out. Looks like a busy place though, so I'd imagine that the 'regulars' there would know if there are such plans.

All of the parts you are looking for, including the transmission are available from a company called Princess Auto in Toronto Canada. They have a great large catalog with some realy strange stuff. They do mail order. Check it out. They have good pricing.