Thread: scraping

Post scraping

I have a Lodge and Shipley circa 1940 which is remarkably good shape except for the ways.
    I have never done any scraping but would be willing if I could find detailed information. Any suggestions?

There is a book titled "Machine Tool Reconditioning" (Edward F. Connely, Machine Tool Publications) advertised in HSM. It was written in 1955, goes into great detail, and is fascinating stuff. About ten years ago I saw a copy at a used book store priced at $12. Being a bit of a cheapskate I wanted to be sure it was the book I was interested in before plunking down my money, so I went home and looked at the HSM ad, confirmed that it was the one, and went back the next day. Big surprise, it was gone. Of course, now I HAD to have it so I sent off $35 for a new copy. Today it's almost $100, so my advice is to check some used bookstores and e-bay.

Also try this link:

http://www.machinerepair.com/

Mike Morgan sells a really good book and video on scraping and will be selling a couple of other books planned on machine tool alignment and rebuilding a Bridgeport.

The Connely book is nice (I have one) but IMHO Morgan's book & video is a better initial purchase for the novice that wants to get started with scraping.
    Mike Henry near Chicago

Thanks Mike. I just left the site looks like the perfect start.

Randy I will attempt to find "Machine Tool Rebuilding" or just give up the $100 it is by far less than the value of the machine which is a sweet piece of iron.

Lindsay Publications also has some books/pamphlets on scraping.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Hi,
    Scraping is an art form that anyone can learn. By the real Morgan book! it is good. Understand, that you will need practice! The other books all leave out something that is needed. Re-machine the work before scraping if there is more than a few thou of wear.
    Buy also, the video on how to buy used machine tools. You will know what to tackle and how to check it when you are done. at: http://www.lautard.com/
    toff
    To know by reading is different than knowing by doing. OR:
    What you have going into a situation is knowlege..What you have coming out of that situation (providing you survive!) is wisdom.