Thread: Old Clausing/Atlas Mill

Question Old Clausing/Atlas Mill

I recently purchased a older Clausing/Atlas vertical mill. It is model #8520 with Serial #000949. It has had some pretty rough treatment. The pinion shaft/gear that raises and lowers the quill is ruined. Is there anyone who stocks parts for this machine? What should it cost to buy that piece. I would also like to find an Owner's Manual and a Parts List.

------------------
    Mike George
    Mike George

Try the used machinery dealers, I guess.
    Meridian Machinery (www.mermac.com) has a good reputation. Also Plaza Machinery in Bethel, VT and Sobel Machinery in NJ, both of whom advertise in HSM.

Somebody may know if Clausing still supplies parts. If they do, the price will probably give you heart failure, but it's worth a try. http://www.clausing-industrial.com/ may give you a lead.

By any chance is it a stock gear, or is the part fabricatable from a stock gear? That may be the cheapest way out.

I think Joe at Plaza Machinery has quite a collection of machinery manuals and will sell Xerox copies of them -- he may be able to help you out with the manual and parts list.

[This message has been edited by SGW (edited 10-26-2001).]
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Actually, prices from Clausing for the few things I've needed for my 8520 haven't been too bad. The knurled nut for the top of the spindle was only a few bucks. Spindle bearings, however, were around $180 and could probably have been found cheaper at a local bearing house.

Drive pulleys for an 8540 mill (variable pitch sheaves) were another story - $1700 total for the two halves.
    Mike Henry near Chicago

Talking

I contacted Claausing, they have the pinion in stock and are sending it to me. It cost $85 plus freight. Thank you for your suggestions.
    Mike George

Clark Guest

Here is one for $2850:
    http://www.mermac.com/mill1.html

I don't beleive the 800 pounds. I just moved one for a freind. We took it apart in to 3 pieces and the two of us [middle aged 170 pound men] carried the it up the stairs.

My freind paid $1400 to the survivors of the original owner.

My Rockwell is twice as big, but the Clausing has the nicest feel to the handles. They are very large knobs with crome plating. The torque required feels very light. After running the Clausing, other machinery [and my car] feel like junk.

The Clausing mill on Dave's site may have just sold on eBay. At least he just sold an 8530 there.

Clausing literature claims that the 8520 weighs in at 650 lbs, without motor. Pretty easy to disassemble into 3 or 4 parts that are manageable by two people.

Mike Henry near Chicago

Re: 800 pounds. That's "shipping weight," which includes the crate.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.