Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 or 4 flute end mills

Question 2 or 4 flute end mills

Looking to by my first set of end mills. What should a beginner buy 2 or 4 flute? My projects for now will be mild steel and aluminum. Thanks all.

------------------
    Matt
    Matt

Doesn't really matter but if you are doing a lot of alloy then the 2 flute clear chips better than 4 flute. Just make sure you get centre cutting ones. Most 2 flute are, some of the older 4 flute aren't and so you can't plunge.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

If you can afford it, buy 2 and 4 flutes of each size...3 flutes in my opinion are the best...

Either 2, 3, or 4 flutes will all do the job just great...

brent

Rotate Guest

I've had bad experience with machining aluminum using 4 flute. Perhaps I didn't get the speed right (although with 2 flute at the same speed the problem disappeard), but instead of making nice chips it was making mashed potato.

If I had to choose between owning only 1 set, it would be 2 flute. As Brent noted, I too have heard good things about 3 flute endmills but have never used it myself.

Albert

For slotting two's are better because there is not that flute in the front pushing the spindle and mill over.
    Also more chip clearance.
    For facing and side cutting I'd use a four fluter.
    You get smoother cutting action with more flutes.
    Some machinists claim four flute mills are stronger becauce of a larger root. This may be true but I'm not convinced because of loss of chip clearance and extra cutting forces on more flutes.
    You pays your money and takes your choice.
    metal

Thumbs up

Two flute are the stongest. Four flute is nice to finish machine as it gives slightly better surface texture. Three flute are a comprimise between the two and commonly used in machining Aluminum at very high speeds - their cost is usually much higher than two ro four flute. If you can afford only one set get the two flute center cutting endmills in M-42 or T-15 HSS. Surface coating is not a requirement TiAlCN is the best all round choice (great with cast iron) but TiN is much cheaper. Buy good US or British made endmills - the cheap imports are not a good bargain most of the time. You can always just buy the sizes you need as you need them to cut initial sticker shock.

Rotate Guest

Hi Thud,

You made me thinking about HSS as it refer to home machinist. I remember reading that unless you're cutting very hard material or doing production work, other HSS (as you mentioned M-42 or T-15) do not offer much advantage over the regular M2. Is this true? How does this apply to HSS toolbit for the lathe?

Albert

Important point to remember is that you should never cut an open ended slot with a four flute mill. If you do it will probably break when it emerges at the end of the slot.

sauniere,
    you're right about those slots. Sounds like experience talking.

Albert
    Some American brand of endmill is good for starting out.
    If you're new you'll likely chip them before you wear them out.
    Some of the imports don't have proper clearance.

lathe tools
    pick up a handful of those used lathe tools at the flea market, some momaxes, rex xxx ,all high speed steel.
    They usually go for $.5to $1.5 each and they will do most of what you need.
    A small radius and nice lip will cut most iron alloys, and aluminum like butter.
    Leave them flat on top for cast iron brass, and bronze.
    A couple of brazed carbides are good for scaley castings.
    You're not doing hastelloy, 4140 preheat, or 17-4 ph in the home shop much.
    Kappullen

[This message has been edited by kap pullen (edited 03-11-2002).]

John,
    You mentioned "center cutting". How do I know if my cutters are that type?

Thanks.

------------------
    RPease
    RPease