Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable Live Center

Post Adjustable Live Center

Several weeks ago I read post about modifying a Live center to fit a boring head with Morse 3 taper. This would allow me to adjust Live Center offset for turning tapers.

After acquiring LC, boring head and Morse 3 adapter I sent Live Center off to be ground. Received caqll from Ginder that Live Center was ruined while grinding Morse three taper to a .500 straight shank to fit Boring head.

Seems hole through shank was not checked and it was too close to the .500 OD I needed.

Anyone know what Live Center I could purchase with a .500 straight shank or one that is solid so that it can be properly ground?

Wally

Seems to me I've seen live centers with straight shanks, although I may be imagining that. Check Ritten (Riten?) and/or Royal manufacturer's catalogs.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Wally,
    Get a 2 Morse LC they are 0.700 at the large end and 0.525 at the small end.
    Not much to grind off and should clear any centre hole.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

You can also buy a straight sleeve to use MT tooling in turrets, the MT2 center should work if ground - check the guts first.

for some applications, and other factors, ie. cost, a carbide tipped dead center can do superior work.
    gvasale

made up a plain bearing live center useing old morse #2 drill shank....... has served well for many years....would work just as well w/ 1/2 in. shank!
    besr wishes
    docn8as
    docn8as

Wally,

This dodge with the boring head may work, sounds good anyway.
    We tried to cut some tapered parts by offseting the tailstock years ago.

The center holes quickly wore because the center is constantly working in the hole with "line Contact" only because of the misalignment.

Couldn't hold taper because the length of the part was changing as the center holes wore out.

We were doing Heavy parts so what you're doing may be ok.

Spherical centers might work.
    Never seen one in a catalog.

Just bought a Mechanical tracer attachment off ebay that would do gun barrels for you guys making those gatlin guns.
    Already made a couple of "Desiel" horns and bells for my locomotives. Plan to try wheel contours.

mite

most of the really old machinist handy books discuss making ball end centers. they are probably the best for this use. see if you can make one of those ball turning tools to do it yourself. Or if you could afford to have someone "superdrill" a suitalbe bearing ball and locktite it onto some type of holder. Carbide centercutting end mill might work too, but haven't tried it.
    gvasale

Have a look at the pic here:-
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/machines/tapersetup.jpg
    This is pretty self explanitary. Just two mild steel stubs, centre drilled and a ball popped in.
    No rocket science and it works.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

john,
    That's really a good shot.
    I'm gonna save that one.
    Use ball mill instead of a center drill I suppose.
    Thanks
    mite