Thread: Cut-off tool

Post Cut-off tool

I use an old Maximat &. The distance from the head-stock center line to the top of the compound is one .571". I can't find a cutoff tool, or even a blade, that will fit in this small space. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm tired of the "Hacksaw-chuck it up-face it off" routine. Thanks a large bunch.
    George

Cool

Georgio,

I do have a Maximat7 from the 50/60's. I have two types of tool holders for my machine. A square 4-way turret which holds 3/8" & 1/2" shank tools. The second is an "English Toolpost" which is just a big, ugly clamp with a levelling screw on the back, a spring, a spherical washer for the nut, and a long nut.

By machining down the underside of a 1" shank blade holder (KBBN style) to proper dimensions I was able to mount it along the side of the compound clamping with the English clamp thus allowing me to use a 1" high insert type UGHN262 Mitsubishi parting blade (2 mm wide at the tip). I can part any diameter I can chuck with this blade.

There also exists 3/8" shank parting blade holders that use 1/2" HSS parting blades. The holders I have have the name "Supercoup" and were obtained from KAR Industrial in Canada. I know the blades are available in cobalt from KBC. Write me if you cannot locate these - maybe we can horse trade.

In brazed carbide the COR, COL, CT, CTL, & CTR style bits could be made to work by milling off the bottoms to fit your tool block - these are normally 1/2" x 1" shanks. They are fairly wide but could be narrowed by grinding with a Diamond or SiC wheel. KBC sells these (and nearly everyone else as well).

Newcomer, Mini-Systems, Iscar and others make carbide insert cutoff tols in 3/8 shanks as well. The diameters you can cut are limited - usually only to 1.125". The Mini-Sytems toolholders also have inserts for o-rings and threading. KBC has this stuff - see page 259-267.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Hi Thrud,
    Many thanks for your reply. I got some ideas from you, which I'll convert to metal after the snow flies. The idea of a tool-holder mounted off the side never occurred to me.
    Have you a source of parts for the old Maximats?
    George

Georgio,

Are you in Canada per chance? All that talk of snow flying got me all teary eyed (I hate mosquitos, but they LOVE me).

Blue Ridge Machinery has parts, but I suspect you are not going to like the prices. A lead screw for mine is $20 but the halfnuts are nearly $500. You can make better ones even if you have to buy a ACME tap to do it and still have lots of money left.

I had one gear cluster in my milling head that was snafu'd whan I obtained the machine - that cost me $321 for a tool & die maker to make a new shaft, put in needle bearings and make 2 bronze gears. He did a nice job of it too. BRM told me to just buy a new 6 speed head because the parts were unobtainable.

Tony Griffiths from www.lathes.co.uk has told me parts are available through him or that he can do a search in Europe for them.

If you need more info, just email me.

Dave