Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill sets

Post Drill sets

Looking to buy 115 pc. drill bit set for general purpose work. Any suggestions as to make and style. I see the imports are a lot cheaper but haven't done to well with imported cutters. I get MSC and Travers books. They list a bunch of them but would like some input from you guys. Thanks, Todd

Ron LaDow Guest

T-Slot,
    Pretty much 'get what you pay for'. I got one of the import sets a couple of years ago. The index is printed with an ink that comes off the first time you get oil on it. I measure 'em anyway, but that only points out that the diameters don't match the standards.
    I wouldn't buy an import set again, but I'll use these until they're gone.

I agree with Ron. I'd get good ones. If you wait for one of the MSC or Travers sale flyers, you can get made-in-USA drill sets for fairly resonable money.

At some point you may also want to think about getting a screw machine set. I got one of the fractional 135 degree split point screw machine drill sets a while ago, and I love 'em. But get the jobber set first. You can get by with just those.

[This message has been edited by SGW (edited 07-14-2001).]
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then give up. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. -- W.C. Fields

Ditto on the made in USA stuff. It'll cost you about 1-1/2 times more, but well worth it. I got a 115 set of imports once, they cut great in wood, but wouldn't even start in metal. They were pure crap. Paid the extra for a USA set and they work great.

Thanks for the input, that's pretty much what I figured. Seems to be quite a difference in price between "made in USA" and the big names, like Chicago Latrobe and Cleveland Twist Drill. Are the "made in USA" sets any good or just a step above the imports? Don't see why the "made in USA" sets don't name the manufacturer.

I expect the "made in USA" sets are okay. They may be Precision Twist Drill, Hansen, or Union Butterfield, any of which are high quality. Or they may be something else, equally good. There is no magic about Cleveland Twist Drill or Chicago Latrobe, except they seem to be MSC's featured manufacturers.

If in doubt, buy a couple of individual "made in USA" drills and try them out.

----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then give up. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. -- W.C. Fields

I've had really good luck with the Hertel 115-pc set that J&L sells - lists for $145 but seems to be on sale pretty often for around $90.

Try www.jlindustrial.com - the sets don't seem to be on sale this month but maybe next month.
    Mike Henry near Chicago

Hi,
    My experience with drill sets has been that the magic number is about $90 U.S. for a 115 piece set. I have had a Hertel set at work for five years and I do tool steel, Al., plastics. I have had no trouble with it and only replaced two drills due to my own clumsiness. Some of the cheaper sets drill only as well as the hammer you hit them with!
    Luck
    toff
    To know by reading is different than knowing by doing. OR:
    What you have going into a situation is knowlege..What you have coming out of that situation (providing you survive!) is wisdom.

Exclamation

The way that we do it is to buy USA made bits in single pacs i.e. fractional set then get a numbered set then a letter set or however. we have found that we get better value by purchaseing this way than by getting the large sets. Most of the tooling catalog companies send out sale flyers and you can get some good deals this way.

------------------

T-Slot
    The "made in USA" bits are usally made and sold to and for the tool supply companies as there bulk products and most are made by companies that are jobbers to the larger companys.