Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 - Jaw Chuck for 10" lathe?

Post 5 - Jaw Chuck for 10" lathe?

Does anyone know where I can locate a 5-jaw chuck to fit a 10" lathe? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

George

George
    Do you really mean 5 jaw?
    What type spindle nose does your lathe have?

A two nose! Me too, I've never seen a five jaw. Two machinists visiting over a 3 jaw maybe? 5 jaws all working... George, spend a couple extra bucks for a Bison; don't get the cheapest one the tool house offers. Wish I didn't know that. Bisons are a good value and are pretty accurate. Spend some time getting the backplate right (well covered in Lautard'sMachinist's Third Bedside Reader) and it will be time VERY well spent. Wish I didn't know that'n either.
    I'm here hoping to advancify my smartitude.

George

You mean a 6-jaw? Get a Bison - best bang for the buck.

If you have a D1-xx or A series or anthing other than a threaded nose, get a SEMI-finished backplate from Bison as well. The reason is two-fold. Spindles like the Camlock or L or A series are a bitch to make properly, a semi-finished backplate has all the hard stuff done for you. All you have to do is carefully machine it for the chuck. The second reason is that you will get more accurate chuck as factory fit is good (=<.oo1"TIR) but you can do better if you take the time...

If you have a threaded nose, get a Bison Backplate (beauty!) and carefully cut the threads first and then bore the backplate register to fit the spindle register snug (not so tight as to cause interferrence) - this is where your precision is won or lost on a threaded nose.

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 11-13-2002).]

Never heard of a 5-jaw, but Thrud's right; if you want a 6-jaw, get the Bison. Good value for the money.

If you really do want a 5-jaw, drop a line to some of the chuck companies and see if anybody has ever made one. You could probably get one custom made if you REALLY want one, but you'd need to mortage your house to pay for it.

----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the information. I know that there is a company that makes huge 5- jawed chucks (over 20"). However I have a Logan #820 with a 1 1/2" - thread, headstock has a #3 Morse taper. I build fishing rods that have a pentagonal cross-section & find myself constantly "jerry-rigging" something up whenever I need to do some turning. I have heard from some that 5- jawed chucks were made but haven't been able to locate one. It was also mentioned that collets with pentagonal openings were once made by Hardinge although I haven't been able to locate any of these either. Anyone oout there have any 5-sided paraphernaliia they would like to unload on me?

George

You could try this company
    http://www.worldwidechuck.com/

Here's the hardinge site url
    http://www.hardingeworkholding.com/index.html

Just read your post again. From what you say, I gather that the pentagonal collets have been discontinued?

I also never heard of a fivejaw chuck, I bet you can have a custom made set of pentagonal collets made for less than the cost of an adjustable five jaw.

Might be a job for a "cat head" . Just a tube with two sets of five screws to hold the rod, tube chucked in a lathe.

But your question was whereto find a five jaw. sorry , no help here
    Steve

Rock,

Get a two jaw, and a three jaw.

Pick up a six jaw, and leave one jaw out.

Have done this on jobs with a boss on one side.

kap

Buck Forkardt may make a special to-order five jaw chuck. Plenty wampum - may be cheaper than an entire set of special collets. The old Buck Chuck Co. used to make special work like this - get the Adjust-Tru feature on it too - will be plenty accurate. Buck Forkardt has a nice website.