Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UHMW misery

Unhappy UHMW misery

What's the secret to turning UHMW??? I was playing around with a 2 1/2" [6 inches long] solid rod. I wanted to turn it down to 2"
    Problem was, as I made each pass the material was staying wrapped around the rod. Almost like thread or string.
    Heavier cut? Was taking light passes of only .020" One buddy thought a larger radius on the nose of the cutter. Higher RPM? Currently working at 950rpm.
    Any and all suggestion gladly accepted.
    owen

------------------
    "Enjoy Life, Race a Yamaha."
    \"Enjoy Life, Race a Yamaha.\"

Owen

Had a similar problem with nylon. Ended up using a broad nose{big radius} hss tool with a good bit of positive rake. Would also try lowering that speed.

Chris

Thumbs up

Thanks Chris. I'll be sure to give that a try when I get home from work.
    Owen

A larger radius helps with a heavier cut.
    I've found that a left hand turning tool, turned upside down, cuts better as it lets the chip ( or ribbon) drop straight into the chipbed.

You could do the same thing with a back side tool post if your set up for one
    Amatuers cut gear teeth one at a time. Professionals generate them via gear hobbers and shapers

Rotate Guest

I had the same problem few months back.

Stop the string from wrapping around by interrupting the cut, and also use a long tweezer to pull the string as it forms.

Albert

Jero100,
    I am safe in assuming the lathe is spinning backwards during your upside down technique? I am not set up for a back side tool post. Yet.......
    I haven't yet made it out to the shop. Was busy training all last night, home late.
    Thanks again to every one for the assistance with my UHMW misery.
    Owen

------------------
    "Enjoy Life, Race a Yamaha."

Over the years I have machined tons of it my usual procedure is to use a slow speed and a fast feed something like 200rpm and .040"per rev. to rough out the part then high speed and about.005"per. rev.with a tool radius of about.032"for the finish cut.If that is not possible then what I do is start at the mill and cut a groove parallel the axis down just short of the finished od and turn as normal.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Owen:
    Ultra sharp tools. I have a HSS tool cut like an eagle talon - turn slow so the plastic does not melt. I cut off with a HSS blade with a viscious hook as well.

Yes....sorry for leaving that out.
    once you get the chip going...gravity should pull the ribbon into the chipbed.