Thread: getting started in gunsmithing?

Wink getting started in gunsmithing?

i have always been fasinated with the workmanship inguns both old and new and have been thinking of taking up gunsmithing. Can anyone tell me away of learning the trade that wont cost me a small fortune? I have been a machinist for 4 years and around machinery for 7. thanks in advance.

Thumbs up

Village press has a new book by Steve Acker as well as a book on a falling block action.

NRA used to have many books on gunsmithing. Guy Lautard had a video on rifling barrels (roll your own!) www.lautard.com

Hope that helps, be safe and have fun.
    Dave

I think there's generally an ad in the American Rifleman for a gunsmithing school. It's in Trinidad, Colorado, perhaps?

I'd definitely get some professional training before I got too involved. Having 50,000 psi blow up 6" from one's face would not be a good thing.

There are a lot of things like mounting sights, buttplates, and other job not involving chambering, barrels, firing pins, etc. though, that are all part of a gunsmith's job and require skill and good workmanship but aren't necessarily lethal if they're screwed up (unless the gun's owner gets really annoyed at you). Check out the Brownell's catalog (ad in American Rifleman) and buy the two volumes of "Gunsmith Kinks." LOTS of assorted information about all aspects of gunsmithing.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then give up. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. -- W.C. Fields

Smile

The Two books already mentioned are probably Ok. Here are two more,though they may not be in print any more:Gunsmithing by Roy F. Dunlap,second edition. Also Modern gunsmith bu James v. Howe,1982 edition.

Hope this helps.
    Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Thumbs up

Join The American Gunsmithing Association. Their address is 75 Holly hill Lane, Greenwich CT 06830 I have been a member for over 10 years and it has been worth every cent. Also join the NRA if you aren't already a member. WALT WARREN

------------------

thanks i will check out all the resources mentioned.

Wink

Check out this thread http://www.huntamerica.com/cgi-bin/u...c&f=8&t=001666

Now, do you want to do it as a hobby or profession? I'd considered going into it as a part time job on the side, but after considering legal ramifications, and cost, decided to keep it on the hobby level.

Unhappy

Fellow hsm'ers. The Gun Control Act of 1968 is extremely vague concerning "engaged in the business of" Congress has tried to define the meaning but hasn't been able to and the different Federal District Courts have different definitions. If one is going to work on ones own firearms then unless one makes a prohibited product one is free to do what one pleases. The gray area is when one works on someone elses firearm. Again joining the AGA will give one a good source of difinitive information. Gunsmithing as a hobby is great but beware of the GCA'68 quicksand. WALT WARREN