Thread: used level leveling

Question used level leveling

Please excuse me if this is an obvious question. I am looking to buy a used Starret machinist level to set up my 9 inch SBL. How do I insure that the level is actually reading level? I don't have anything other than a tub of water that I know is truely level.

Jim

Put it on any reasonably level flat surface. Note where the bubble is. Turn it end-for-end, and read it again. If it's the same reading (at the other end of the bubble), the level is accurate.

Here's a much more detailed answer:
    http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ub...ML/003318.html

Roger

[This message has been edited by winchman (edited 11-22-2003).]
    The law of gravity is fine, but the minimum sentencing guidelines are much too harsh.

I have a Starret Level #199 in the catalog. if you like I could send you a copy of Directions that I got with it. This trully a good tool have. Let me know, either here or hmbyfrght@aol.com.

hambone:
    Roger described exactly the directions that come with the Starrett #199 Master Precision Level (except for the part on how to adjust the vial).

Jim

If you are patient, you can buy a Starrett #199 Level on eBay for under $100. I bought min for $600 new and it was worth every penny. It is a tool that will work forever if you do not drop it and kepp it from rusting. This level can also be used as a straight edge if you decide to get into scraping of bearing surfaces later.

Are those VASTLY superior to the #98 levels?

The No. 199 is a Master Precision level, vial is graduated to 0.0005"/ft.
    The No. 98 is a Machinist's Improved Level, vial is graduated to 0.005"/ft.
    The No. 199 is about ten times more accurate, and five times more expensive.
    Jim H.