Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryerson Lathe

Question Ryerson Lathe

Has anyone heard of Ryerson, which was located in Chicago?

I bought a lathe on Ebay. A massive Ryerson.

I didn't even have a chance to copy the info off the plates yet, so I don't know the model.

Google doesn't provide anything related.

Lathes.UK doesn't have anything either.

It will take some (alot) doing to unload, so I can't get any pics up yet.

The link below is the sole pic from the ebay sale page.
    http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/0...rson_Lathe.jpg

TIA

[This message has been edited by yf (edited 12-18-2003).]

It looks like it might be an early prototype for the Sherline lathe.
    Are you sure Ryerson is the manufacturer? Sometimes owner's tags may look like manufacturer's nameplates. I'm thinking Ryerson Steel, also Chicago.
    Jim H.

I don't think Ryerson is it either,I bought a big Buffalo iron worker at a local auction that was listed a being a Ryerson,that was just the nameplte of the machinery company that sold it.That brass plate just behind the chuck in the photo will say something like Monarch or Lodge and Shipley maybe even Reed and Printice
    I just need one more tool,just one!

The brass plate says mfg. by "Ryerson Chicago". I think

There is no way this is the prototype for the Sherline, as its about 10' long 53" high and swings about 20" with a 6 morse taper in the headstock and judging by the amount of deflection of my trucks springs, weighs over 5000# Also its not a dovetail bed.

good evening.

i can't help. however, i would like to find a 'Ryerson' lathe because that is part of my family. sentimental thing there.

peace.
    bill
    ........i dremel. therefore i am..........................

Ryerson is now Ryerson-Tull, they're nationwide, headquartered in Chicago. They're one of the big guys in the metal distribution business, they may even have their own mills.

In years past they distributed machine tools and industrial supplies. Can't say for sure whether they actually made the machine tools, I have seen machinery with the Ryerson name in the casting. Maybe they had a deal with machine tool makers to put the Ryserson name on the machines.

Check your local phone book, most large cities have a nearby branch. Ask about parts for one of their machines, might be an interesting reaction you get.

Lightbulb

I did find Ryerson-Tull on Google. But after clicking on every link on their website, www.Ryeresontull.com I found no mention of machine tools at all.

Whether they made them themselves or not I believe it is of very high quality, as when I removed the gearbox cover to gain clearance to fit in my van, all the gears visible are herrigbone gears. I mentioned to the seller that it must be very quiet running. His machinist confirmed it was very quiet and smooth running.

My reason for requesting info. is to try to obtain any manuals pertaining to it and to find out if the manufacturer is still around.

Unloading is going to be very difficult.
    Making space for it even more so.

yf,

"when I removed the gearbox cover to gain clearance to fit in my van,"

Huh??? You're telling us you fit that lathe into a van??? Exactly how did you do that?

Lightbulb

we bent the roof up a bit to get it in and pushed hard with the forklift.

That's why its going to be so hard to unload it.

Loooking at it today I spied a tiny plate on the apron that says "Sidney Lathes" and nothing else. So I guess ryerson was the seller.

Sturdy brute of a lathe!
    When I looked at the picture, my first thought was that it looked alot like a Monarch. Not surprising now that you say that it's a Sidney...I've been told that Sidney was an offshoot of Monarch - started by some disgruntled Monarch employees who wanted to make some design changes - such as a larger spindle bore. So, just out of curiousity, what's the bore size through the spindle?