Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keyway Cutting Machine

Post Keyway Cutting Machine

Anyone have a keyway broach machine for sale. I need to cut internal keyways from 1/8 to 7/8 width. My Zip is 98902. Thanks, Jeff

Good "keyseaters" get top dollar.
    A shop with a keyseater can take work from most small shops at $50 a keyway.
    You're stuck with that unless you want to wittle it on a shaper, or with a broach.
    Up to 3/8-1/2", a broach is an economical way to go.
    Over that it becomes a pain unless you have a good sized press in good shape.
    mite

Mite,

While we're on the subject, I just bought a set of DuMont Minute Man Woodruff keyway cutters. It was part of a bunch of stuff I bought from an older gentleman who was liquidating his shop for health reasons. His english wasn't good, but he tried to describe how to use them and their matching guides with a press for cutting internal keyways, but he didn't communicate what kind of press was required. The set I got has five different cutters ranging in width from 1/8 to 3/8 by 1/16ths. It seemed that they should be well worth the $30.00 I paid for the set, still in it's fitted wood box as I do have a need to cut a keyway in a wheel for a grinder I'm working on.

You seem to have some knowledge of how these things work. What kind of press is required to use these things?

Thanks in advance,

John

------------------
    Pursue Excellence and the rest will follow.

Best press for these is a arbor press,We have a Greenard 5 ton at work and I have a 4-1/2 ton at home,they rachet up and down quick and provide the "feel" required to push a small broach without that expensive shattering sound.

Excitable,you got that broach set cheap.

At work we got a new 2-3" bore Dumont set off ebay for $300.00 including shipping,about 1/3 of catalog price,but you can touch the small sets.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

John, that was a STEEL STEAL! How does a guy GET so lucky? I've got more'n that in a single broach I bought not long ago for a giant wood lathe I'm building.

Thus far I've had exceptionally good luck broaching into aluminum using only my metal lathe as a press.

Yep, my metal lathe.

I lay the pulley or whatever I want to broach across my faceplate, stick the broach & bushing in the bore, and press it through using a closed drill chuck in my tailstock. Goes through slicker'n snot, if you'll pardon the expression.

Haven't tried it in steel yet, but that's a'coming one of these nexts. I suspect it'll work nearly as well, given the extremely low pressure I've had to apply to broach 6061.

I'll bet you could use a drill press for aluminum pretty comfortably, too, but it might not be enough for steel if the broach is very big.

-- Tim --
    -- Tim --

I have two keyway boaching machines at work. They both sit on the floor. One has a steel top like a milling machine with a square hole through the center of the table. You open the side door and unscrew a round knob that has a pin on the end of it. This pin holds your choice of broaches from 1/8 to 7/8, which you've inserted from the top of the table in that square hole.It has a rod that is on an essentric with two sprockets that move the broach up and down.An arm hold your work down. And another finger that pushes the back of the broach forward into the metal. You control this finger and pressure by a hand lever. Works good. Jeff

TD: If you thought the broach cutter set was a great deal, you'd be shocked at all the stuff I got that day. The old fellow, Walter seemed to warm up to me after I agreed to buy his Yuasa 6x12 surface grinder. He was a really nice old fella (84) who seemed to like the idea that I really wanted this stuff for my own shop, not for resale purposes.

I also got a Hardinge HV-4 5C collet indexer in near mint shape with a box full (around 25 pcs) of near mint Hardinge 5C collets, a Rockwell Univise in near mint condition, a bunch of V-blocks, small angle plates and some 1/2/3 blocks, a couple indicatators and a holder, etc... It was all a very good deal and a nice day.

It was a bit sad as Walter really seemed to have some reservations about selling his stuff, but was resigned to the fact that he is 84 and has Parkinsons and that it might be the right thing to do for his somewhat younger wife.

I never asked for a lower price, but gladly paid what he asked for each piece. I got the feeling that he was just as happy to see the stuff go somewhere where it might be appreciated as he was to collect the cash.

John

------------------

there is one on canadian ebay.

John, it sounds like Walter would be a good source of something even more valued than the tools. I'm thinking here of friendship, comradrie, expertise, and mentoring. Course I don't know how much mentoring you might need, but I'd sure like to have some old timers around close to rub elbows with and glean some of their knowledge.

Amen, Lynn- I was thinking same thing myself.And keep in mind the old codger has old codger friends that may have tooling and advice. Not suggesting taking advantage of anyone, but there are lots of tools not in use and a few pangs of regret. I am storing bunch of stuff for friend who is relocating to Alaska (at near retirement age). All he and his wife asked for much of it was that, whoever I give things too, be persons who will use stuff-no flea market sales.

Pity there is no way to dig that stuff out and distribute it- Kids have no interest, widows lack knowledge. Some how reading Obituary and Dumpster diving at the new widows place is unseemly. Gotta be a system to "save the tools", they save every thing else- a License tag maybe? .