Thread: Welding band saw blades

Post Welding band saw blades

I am trying to find an eassy way to weld
    or braze band saw blades, without using
    commercial band saw blade welding machines.

Comments on: MIG welding, brazing, laps,
    and silver soldering are requested.

In this case the band saws blades are from
    a saw mill (1-1/4" wide by 0.042")

What is the color of metal when anealing
    these blades, if anealing is needed?

Cliff Lawson

I have a Do-All bandsaw with built in welder--after welding a blade and cleaning/grinding the weld area smooth you are left with an area of shiny metal--when annealing I reheat the area of the weld to the point where the shiny metal turns blue--I have welded many blades and have had no trouble with breaks--if you heat beyond blue its been my experience that the weld area becomes too brittle--I hope this helps--if you have any questions please contact me--George Ware

Cliff, I saw a neat inexpensive blade welding jig/kit in a Harbor Freight Tools catalog. They are also on line at www.harborfreight.com. Looked like it would do the job your looking to do. Also, I have a 20" Rockwell with an attached welder, and George's comments are exactly correct. Good luck

Dick Zini
    Dick

Another bit of information to my previous post. The item number for the blade brazing kit is 36597-0AMA

Good luck

Dick Zini
    Dick

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Backgear:
    Another bit of information to my previous post. The item number for the blade brazing kit is 36597-0AMA

Good luck

Dick Zini
    </font>
    Hi Dick:

I'll look that up in their catalog.

As with most of us guys, we all probably
    get a catalog from them every week it seems.

The same goes for Northern Hydraulics.

Thanks for yout comment.

Cliff Lawson

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ware:
    I have a Do-All bandsaw with built in welder--after welding a blade and cleaning/grinding the weld area smooth you are left with an area of shiny metal--when annealing I reheat the area of the weld to the point where the shiny metal turns blue--I have welded many blades and have had no trouble with breaks--if you heat beyond blue its been my experience that the weld area becomes too brittle--I hope this helps--if you have any questions please contact me--George Ware </font>
    I have a commercial stand alone band saw welder. This one works a little diferently when anealing than George Wares.
    After welding you open the jaws a lot wider, about 1", hold the swith to anneal until it glows red, allow to cool and repeat. Then remove and grind the flash off wth the little inbuilt grinder. These are the instructions on the plate and I have had no problems with it.

------------------
    Regards,
    John Stevenson,
    Nottingham, England

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

I silver solder the blades for my bandsaw. (It's one of those ubiquitous 4"x6" horizontal/vertical import jobs that cost about $200.)

I grind/file a taper on the ends, overlap, hold the ends in a jig I made from a piece of angle iron, and silver solder with a propane torch. It takes a while, but for me it works fine.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.