Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hercus lathe parts; where are they?

Post Hercus lathe parts; where are they?

A couple of days ago my dad came home from the recycling depot with a big surprise. In the back of his company truck was an old Hercus lathe. Almost every part was there except for the belts. I started researching and foung that the screw (thread) cutting mechanism was missing too, but the rest was there; 3-jaw chuck, 4-jaw chuck, 11 bits, 4 wrenches and some other odd and ends.

I e-mailed MiniTech and Mick Moyles Engineering, both in Australia, both said I'm outta luck. I e-mailed Axmell too, but no response as of yet.

I was hoping that someone here would know of a source to get a used screw cutting mechanism from, and any other tools or parts as well. I'm sure there's some old barn somewhere full of old Hercus parts; I just can't find it.

Also, does anyone the exact belt lengths and widths for the old Hercus lathes? I read 40" somewhere, but might be wrong. Here's the only numbers I could find on the lathe, between the v-ways at the tail end.

Serial No. AR11234V

There is also the stamp 'BS' in the front v-ways of the bed at the tail end, which
    might be a model number or nothing at all. I did read that it should normally be stamped 'SB', for SouthBend.

What I've read suggests that a SouthBend screw cutting mechanism would fit, but I can't find any used SouthBend parts either.

We can live without cutting threads, but would like to make the lathe as complete as possible. If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would make my father, the lathe, and myself very happy.

Thanks for all the help,

jmicahg

Do a "Google" search and there are several FW Hercus links. The lathes I believe was made in S.A. under license to South Bend lathe (USA) and I think the parts are interchangeable.

Graeme

I looked at Tony's site in the UK and found the following.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbend9-inch/page11.html

I have no idea of how many Hercus's came to
    North America.
    I would find someone in your area with a 9 inch South Bend and see if the SB parts would work.

Graeme

lathes.co.uk was the first page I came across in my search. It's a great site with lots of info, but little help in finding parts. The following link has a couple pictures of the South Bend screwcutting gear boxes; one metric, one standard.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbend9-inch/page7.html

As far as I have read, the South Bend screwcutting gear box should fit a Hercus as they are pratcially the same lathes with different badges. I can find plently of info, but not alot of parts for sale.

Is there some decent listing or group of people who have these lathes and the parts to sell? I did find one group . . .

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbendlathe/

. . . but I can't find much in the way of parts there either. I'll probably e-mail Mick Moyles again and give hime the link to lathe.co.uk that has the pictures of the screw cutting gear box.

Any extra help anyone could provide would ne greatly appreciated.

Thanks

jmicahg

If you go to tokenTOOLroom.com and look under the machinery heading there is a link there to a PDF of a lathe book by Mr Hercus.
    I understand it is the second edition printed about 1970. That should give you some lead as to what is required with your project.
    good luck.
    Lets know how you get on.
    Bobby.
    boef

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

The link you posted was great, sort of a overhaul manual for the Hercus lathe. I shot a copy of the pdf off to my dads work e-mail adress so he could print and bind the document at work for our veiwing pleasure.

I feel that I should point out that I am not a machinist by and means, but rather a hobbyist. I've used lathes and mills before (and lots of other tools) but might be a little sketchy on the proper termanology.

I hope to get my Hercus running withing the next week or so, and then give it a much need cleaning and alignment. It just needs the belts and for my father and I to design some type of motor mount before it purrs to life.

I'm still looking for the screwcutting gearbox, and stumbled across this group . . .

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbendlathe/

. . . that might be of some help.

I've even got a couple of winter projects planned. Take a look at this link . . .

http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~khirata/english/make.htm

. . . for model sterling engines. Some of the parts might require a mill, but my dad has two at work with digital readouts, one of which I've used before.

The other project is a small brass steam engine I build years ago in grade 9 metal working class. It putts along pretty well with compressed air and only a couple cc of displacement, but I'd really love to build a small boiler for it.

I wish I had my own web page, then I could post a couple pics of the old Hercus I've got. It must be pretty old with the elequant cast iron legs, but its in great shape. If you or any one elese knows of where I could post a pic or two, let me know. I could even e-mail a few pics out to anyone who asks.

Thanks, and happy turning.

jmicahg

For what it is worth, your serial number indicates the machine is a model A (Norton box, auto crossfeed) R for roller bearing headstock made in 1967 (serial numbers for 1967 run from 11058 to 11680). Not sure about the "V", however. The suffix usually relates to the bed (S for short. L for long H for hard etc). Possibly may be something to do with the drive (export 110 volt?). All the hercus lathes I have seen have been stamped "BS". Not sure about this either. Does the machine have the "H" type (vertical) or "P" type (horizontal) drive?

What parts of the the screwcutting train do you need - banjo? tumbler? I take it that you know nine-inch South Bend gears interchange with Hercus. The other bits may also interchange - worth a try!

Let me know - being in Australia I may be able to help.
    Regards
    Tony

A couple more thoughts. The countershaft to headstock belt on an "H" pattern drive is an A36 (A profile, 36 inch). I have forgotten the length of the motor to countershaft belt,but it is easily calculated by measuring the distance between centres and using the formula for vee belt length in Machinery's Handbook.

You might also try Emco Machine Tools in Sydney for parts - www.emcomachinetools.com.au.

More information. I checked my machine last night (H type drive)and the motor to countershaft belt is an A42.

I just found this table of information on desktopcnc.com totally by accident:

Web page - http://www.axmell.com.au/hercuscnc/Index.htm

Address - Hercus Products
    12 Camira Street
    Regency Park 5010
    South Australia

Phone - (61- 8) 8346 5522

Fax - (61- 8) 8346 5811

E-mail - hercuspc160@axmell.com.au

The table also contained Rockford info which I deleted. Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Leigh (edited 09-15-2005).]
    Leigh
    The entire content of this post is copyright by, and is the sole property of, the author. No assignment
    of title nor right of publication shall ensue from presentation of this material on any computer site.