Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chinee lathes

Post Chinee lathes

During several of our discussions of lathes I have mentioned that I purchased an Asian 12X36. I had looked for quite a while for an American lathe, but had no luck. The Asian beast has done admirable service. Its dial inaccuracies becoming less annoying as I became accustomed to them. All in all, I have been very happy with this thing.
    However, today I was able to purchase a round dial 10 EE at a very good price. It is about 300 miles away, and I pick it up in a week, but I am never the less tickled. It has threading, a taper attachment, and is a motor generator. I'd guess the moral is that all things do come to those who wait. Mike

Mike
    Told you...
    Way to go!

MIKE: What you have experienced is a sub set of Murphy's Law. If one can't find what one wants then one must buy the second on the want list, then some time later what one wanted originally will become available. The next step is the toughest, one must then sell the first thing so as to be able to buy what one wanted in the first place. Unless one is able to justify keeping both items. WALT WARREN

Dave I know this may seem like a dumb question .But what does (Way to go) mean seriously I have heard it many times and always wondered Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Way to Go AKA All Right!, Super, Right On, 10-4 Good Buddy. Alister if the slang in the US and Canada drive you nuts just imagine how us poor colonials feel you Brits start.
    The optimist says the glass is half full, the pessimist says it's half empty. The paranoid in me says somebody put a hole in it.

Remember pessimists are at heart opptomists. They know things can and will get worse.

good-oh

The 10 EE is supposed to be 100% original drive, but has .002-.003 way wear right against the headstock. I guess I will see how it works out and then decide whether or not to have the ways reground. I'm betting it will be fine, but I don't have a lot more than scrap price in it so a little spent on repair won't hurt too badly.
    I will hold onto the Chinee lathe until this guy is going, and then decide whether or not to get rid of it. Mike

Just curious... What is the motor-generator for?

Gordon

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GM69camaro:

Just curious... What is the motor-generator for?

Gordon
    </font>
    I believe Monarch 10EE's are DC drive.

Monarch used several methods of converting AC to DC. The 10EE was produced for about 60 years, and the motor generator is one of the earlier methods of providing DC. Mike