Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fixing broken wine glass?

Post fixing broken wine glass?

My daughter left two monogrammed wine glasses with us for safe-keeping and we broke one of them into about six pieces. She and our son-in-law used them for their first toast at their wedding and so they are a sentimental keepsake. I would like to fix it for them and wonder if anyone out there knows how to repair it. Is there a glue that would hide the cracks and hold it together? The repair doesn't have to be water tight but should be cosmetically appealing. Are there companies that repair them? Anyone have any ideas?

Mikem,
    I wonder if the filler used by those car windshield crack fixing companies might work. It must have about the same refractive index as glass in order to fill the crack and make it invisible to the eye.

Might be cheaper to find another (or two VERY SIMILAR) glass(es) and have it monogrammed.

A good glass blower can fuse them back together, maybe amost invisibly. It's kinda like autogenous welding.

I got lucky when I stuck a hand back on the arm of a glass statue. Fortunately, it was a clean break. I turned the statue upside down so gravity was helping me, wired the hand in place using stainless wire, heated oh-so-gently trying not to involve the wire and Lo! it fused. Just like that the fracture disappeared. I stuck in in a hot (500 degree) kitchen stove oven for a few hours and then let the oven cool down gradually.

But I was lucky. And a hero. For about ten minutes.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 01-31-2003).]

What source of heat did you use and how did you apply it to glass. Did you preheat to prevent uneven and sudden expansion?
    O

Wink

Ask them if they would like to convert to being Jewish and then break the other glass. Your supposed to break them after the toast.

RPease

Crypto,

I used a cheap hand held burns o matic propane torch. Yes you'll have to be very careful with heat. I built a little opensided tent from refusil a ceramic fabric you can get from a welding supply. I heated the internal volume for a time before I placed the statue in it.

Once the glass gets about 800 degrees or so it forgets about being brittle and becomes tough. Only then can you locally heat for fusing.

Bust a couple of cheap wine glasses and practice on them. You'll soon pick up the knack of holding them together with stainless wire and how to monkey the heat.

I think this would not be an easy task if at all possible (which I doubt) sorry.
    It's a bit like people who say Oh I play the guitar only to discover most of them do so,(badly).In other words .Yes it can be repaired, but I don't believe it can be done without noticing it.Best of luck Thrud has the proper answer as I see it.
    In My opinion You would need to make a plaster cast to hold all the pieces together fixing them first with removable glue actually not plaster as it would crack but a casting material similar to that used for casting or soldering gold.Then grind when set all the pieces would have to be taken apart and ground and roughened out around the cracks. Then reassembled onto the mould (jig)after all the pieces must be fixed together under heat and not move /misalign while it is being done then weld it all back together filling the pieces you had ground away from the cracked area with new glass rod then regrind it and repolish it and probably re monogram any bits in the damaged area. An expensive job suited only for very few skilled people who could handle such a task.Sorry I don't think this is feasable perhaps it could be done another way I don't know. Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

As one good friend of mine once said "you can't polish a turd." You would be much better off making a new glass and monogramming it.
    Spence

I forgot to mention one alternative which is probably the best. Just be honest and tell them what happened and spend whatever you would have on repairing this, on making them happy. Chances are this is the best route.
    Spence