Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reciprocating hacksaw

Talking Reciprocating hacksaw

Recently a friend who is a retired railroad machinist for the C&0 gave me a electric motor driven reciprocating hack he built 30 some years ago. I replaced the wiring to include a new cut off limit switch. The old G.E.. motor tests out good. Cuts good and is a really nice addition to my small shop. Do any of you folks have plans for this sort on machine? I believe he said it was in Popular Machanics magazine. It would be handy to have the original plans, just for history sake.
    Russ Hobgood

Hi for some reason these have become less popular than they deserve,possibly since the availability of cheaper type bandsaws horizontal or otherwise. I like the action on these and they cut well I wonder why more people don't do up the older ones which seem to go cheap on ebay Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Red face It is a nice touch

It is nice to be able to set up the saw and continue working as the saw drives on. The limit switch takes care of the saw when the work is done. It does not cut fast and that is good. I timed it through a 1" squard bar of 1018; took about 3 minutes with the original blade. I am thinking about an oiler to keep the work lubed.
    Russ Hobgood

Thumbs up Too cool!

Thanks for the link rockrat!

In high school we had a big old power hacksaw that I was fascinated by. I think I'll add the PM DIY version to my list of stuff to get to.

Russ,

Would you mind posting some pictures of it? I would enjoy seeing what he did!

Thanks...
    Last edited by Mike Burdick; 04-14-2006 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair Hosie
    Hi for some reason these have become less popular than they deserve,possibly since the availability of cheaper type bandsaws horizontal or otherwise. I like the action on these and they cut well I wonder why more people don't do up the older ones which seem to go cheap on ebay Alistair
    Alistair. Your nostalgic comment has inspired me. I acquired a little reciprocal saw in the mid 50's, all cast iron, gibs on the slider, blade lift on return stroke, cast sliding weight, buttress thread on the vice screw, auto shut-off, oil cups, belt drive, and after market flood coolant. I have no idea of the mfg. Perhaps it is a 14", and ~70 lb. without motor??? Haven't used it in 35 years or more. I may now return it to its original glory, it deserves some TLC. Thanx. Lloyd

Default my power hacksaw pic

This is the saw i do most of my cutting with not as fast as the band saw type but it works pretty well, it has auto shut off when the cut is done . That is convenient when you are cutting something like 2" sold stock those can take a while. The blade is 10 inches, it is very light weight and when i am done pick it up and put it on the shelf, this little saw has cut lot of metal , max cut is 6 inch pipe

thats an inspiring couple of posts, lastolddog, do you have any pics? I am intrested in what the return lift mechanics look like. thanks for the great link.

Samuel

Smile hack saw

i have the whole set of hard cover popular mechanic books it gives step by step instructions to build this saw it uses two connecting rods fron small block chevy as piviots pretty neat. lots of photos