Thread: Swiss CNC

Question Swiss CNC

On a resent trip to Denver, CO I noted a number of machine shops listed in the Denver Yellow Pages advertising "Swiss CNC". What is "Swiss CNC"? I have never seen it advertised before.
    Harry

IOWOLF Guest

Swiss, is a series of small machines that do it all,1" and below in dia., usually bar fed.

This is the short answer.

Used to work those. The shop had 150 or so lathes all lined up. Air conditioned, polished tile floors. Too bad the management sucked.

The smaller machines were Nomura. Here's one on eBay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Nomura-NN-20-ll-...QQcmdZViewItem

They also had a couple Star and a few nice new Citizen machines. All of them could hold a couple tenths all day long with very little attention.

They also call them "screw machines" since they produce parts similarly. The swiss style CNC machines are much easier to set up though, and more flexible of course.
    Bar stock is fed into one end and high-precision finished parts collect in a bin at the other end. I'd like to have one at home so it could be making parts all day unattended while I was at work. Just come home, wash off parts, package them up and ship off.

"I'd like to have one at home so it could be making parts all day unattended while I was at work. Just come home, wash off parts, package them up and ship off."

I only wish it were that simple.

In my subterrainean lair, okay, it's a basement.

My last job was running a Citizen - it was to me one of the most tempermental machines I've ever run - it particularly liked to buildup material in the fixed bushing, requiring me to take the machine apart to clean it, and then get it going again.

Never again.

HTRN
    EGO partum , proinde EGO sum