Thread: extension to shaper table

Default extension to shaper table

I have two spin indexer's one I am converting actually fitting to a table not converting so that angles can be adjusted i.e raised and lowered for mill cutters to be sharpened with the aid thanks to our pal sir John of a crosslide vice so that I can get lateral movement.The other I had always anticipated fitted as I once saw done to an extension at the front of my shaper table.This would be facing forward so that I can cut some gears or splines spline gears on this as opposed to the milling machine. Has anyone built an extension such as this to their shaper???kindest regards Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

IOWOLF Guest

Are the other two post like this one?

Yes,
    Alistair has three shapers

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

John would I be in this shape if I had three shapers Alistair just clumsy fingers sorry guys

IOWOLF Guest

If it was up to me, You would be forgiven, Scottie.

Thanks Pal Alistair

it all depends on what you can scrouge up,a piece of lathe bed,a thick chunk of steel?
    what also might work would be to find a piece of heavy plate ,cut out your attachment and mount it to the side of the shaper box, the deep section would add more rigidity

Thanks would a good solid non webbed ,slotted angle plate do for this? It seems the obvious solution ,and I have one large enough.Alistair

Default Extension For Shaper

I built one two inches thick by 10 inches wide and 24 inches long. I actually just finished grinding it flat and will throw it on the cnc for the key down the middle. I have it for a 14 inch elliot shaper. Should be stiff enough sure is heavy round 120 pounds. Found the chunk of steel in the ah garbage can at work. Lucky me.

Alistair,
    Have a look round and see if you can't find a small box table and bolt this to your shaper table to extend it.
    Here's a pic of what I mean fitted to this drill.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.