Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Threading Indexable Toolholders

Default Threading Indexable Toolholders

I have been looking at the MTVO and STVO holders at Enco. Looking for feed back of pros and cons of the two different styles.
    John

I prefer the Carmex above on the same page. The advantage of the laydown insert is that you can get various anvils to account for differeing helix angles, something you can't get with the on-edge inserts. The laydown also have full-profile inserts, handy when you have a bunch of threads to cut. I have both types and usually reach for the laydown when I have to thread something.

Given a choice I wouldn't go for either of those.

My choice would be the SER style using laydown inserts. The laydown inserts are rapidly becoming the industry standard. More options with the laydown inserts, full profile, etc.

Once you've used a full profile insert you'll never want to go back. Of course, the drawback is you need a different insert for each TPI.

I have an inexpensive MTVO style from Shars. I see they now carry the horizontal style as well. Mine was about $26 in 3/4 x3/4 and I had to mill a bit off the bottom to fit my BXA type toolholders which are designed for 5/8 tools.

I lucked out and found a whole box of surplus inserts locally and I think I paid $20 for 10 of them.

I'v only used it once and it worked very nicely.

Paul
    Paul Carpenter
    Mapleton, IL

JPR,
    I have the STVO holder from Enco. It is made by Dorian tool ( http://www.doriantool.com/ ) in the USA. I use it on a CNC lathe. I have not used the MTVO style holder but I think with the clamp it would be hard thread up to a shoulder. Even with the STVO style the screw sticks out about .032". Many jobs I do require that I thread to within .001" or .002" from a shoulder so I cannot use either of those style holders. But for other threading jobs the STVO style is my first choice because the inserts aren't as expensive or fragile as some of the other styles.

Mark Hockett
    Island Tech Enterprises
    Clinton, WA
    360-914-6026

More chip less lip

Sounds like it makes sense to have the STVO/MTVO for the off sizes and the laydown insert type for standard pitch threads.

I am not following the insert clamping concern. On the MTVO style tool holder I have, the clamp is on top of the tool holder and is way back behind the 60 degree portion that actually does the cutting (roughly the center line of the insert). There is no interference in cutting clear up to the full depth of the 60 degree point although I don't know of any threads I would ever cut that would take that much depth.

I think the only issue with threading to a shoulder would be on the off-side and that is why they make these tools both right and left hand. With this style of tool, you could cut any thread size limited only by the sharpness of the point on the insert and do not need to have different inserts for different thread size ranges, making it a bit more universal. I am a home shop guy and didn't want to have to buy a bunch of different inserts for different threads if I could avoid it. One tool with one insert will do them all unless some day I need to thread up against a *deep* shoulder on the tailstock end and then another $25 toolholder will take care of that. The toolholders cost about what three inserts do.

I figure on saving my worn inserts and grinding them down a bit to form groving cutters for use in the same holder.
    Paul
    Paul Carpenter
    Mapleton, IL

Millman Guest

Wink

{I figure on saving my worn inserts and grinding them down a bit to form groving cutters for use in the same holder.} There's alot of tools to be made from those used inserts.

pcarpenter,
    When I was shopping for a threading toolholder the info I had showed the clamp on the side,

I will have to look in to the one you have because it sounds like the way to go.

Mark Hockett
    Island Tech Enterprises
    Clinton, WA
    360-914-6026

More chip less lip

...........I'd bought the MTVO type from Enco last year, and quickly checking the Dorian site, I don't see that exact type. Mine is the triangle standup. It has a sockethead screw through the center of the insert and then a clamping finger ON TOP of the tool. The clamp finger bears on the rear of the insert.

I like it very much for my home shop and have used it for all my threading, which has been from 48 to 14 tpi to the best of my recollection. I do a lot of 7/8-14 for reloading tool threads. The 48 was in aluminum for a friends' front lenscap for a scope.

Seems as if the standup type is very similar to the ground HSS type, which I still use on occasion. There's been a lot of threads cut before the laydowns arrived.

Rick
    Son of the silver stream ..... Bullet caster.