Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your New Shop

Hybrid View

Millman Guest

Talking Your New Shop

A little survey, Say you win the lottery, maybe160 mil.; would you buy a complete shop and hire employees, or would you buy top of the line brand new equipment and do the machining yourself? I know what I would do naturally; but I'm going to have start playing the lottery more than twice a year if that goal is ever realized. I know I will buy some new rags, first.

I'd quit my job so I'd have the time to spend in my shop!
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

hmmm
    How to make a little money , start with a lot of money get into machining.

We live in a townhome. It has a full basement but that's filled up fast. My dream expansion would be to buy the unit next door, convert the garage to an enclosed shop for climate control. I'd probably bring in some contractors to dig a pit in the garage to ground level in the basement and create a passageway to the basement and another between both basements. That would make it easier to get bigger machines into the basement shop(s).

The last thing I need or want is a building that needs external maintenance.

Mike
    Mike Henry near Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Millman
    maybe160 mil.; would you buy a complete shop and hire employees, or would you buy top of the line brand new equipment and do the machining yourself?
    I would get some new tools (mine are old nearly worn out things or cheap import drill press) and quit work so I had time to run them.

Hire employees? With 160 Mil who would have to work? I could buy property out of town, build a house and shop, buy new tools and still have enough to live off the interest the rest of my life.

I think I might get up 1/2 hour later.

I might hire someone to throw rocks at next door cat to save me the bother otherwise why change a good thing.

Oh and I'd scrap the big TOS lathe, big lathes mean big work pieces and I'm fed up of 1/2 ton rotors and armatures.
    Glad to see the back of them.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Millman Guest

{big lathes mean big work pieces and I'm fed up of 1/2 ton rotors and armatures.} Know how you feel. My body is paying for those years.

I would just get me a a few things and get my wife a new Lathe a new Mill a Grinder, Drill Press............

I'm kind of with John, except the neighbor doesn't have a cat (anymore), and I already sleep a half hour later.

I enjoy the time I spend in my shop, and doubt that my enjoyment would be markedly changed with different or more expensive tools.
    Jim H.

I'd build a new shop with upgaded machines and never hire anyone...employees are too much trouble.

I lost my home , shop and all my tools to hurricane Katrina.. am now in a new house and my new shop is almost complete..new lathe and mill are waiting in a warehouse.. I miss my old hand tools

John