Thread: Viceroy Sharpedge

Post Viceroy Sharpedge

I bought a viceroy sharpedge at an auction sold without motor and pump got it for around $120.00 U S .
    Guess what when I got it home and looked underneath with a torch I found to my astonishment the pump which is mechanical and motor which was almost new was completely intact.All that is missing is a receptacle tank possibly plastic to take the oil and accept the oil being returned .
    To anyone who has never seen one of these they are about the size of a small refrigerator and have a sixteen inch wheel carborundum I expect which revolves horizontally and has a pump which drips oil onto the wheel as it turns, hence the pump being mechanical and it seems to work of the spinle of the motor on a cam.It has a side take off also with a tap for to feed oil onto the spindle which has a conical shaped carborundum wheel all encased in a metal floorstanding base unit with a fibreglass hood to protect it from dust etc. It has a large arm which completely traverses the whole of the disk and can be raised and lowered and moved across the disk and I wondered what that was for has anyone seen or used one, or could point me in the right direction with a brochure. It has a arrangement a fitting on the front for holding chisels etc and is a sophisticated means of holding and angling the tool in question.Perhaps it could be argued with the invention of the Tormek of which I already have two off it may be out of date any one with any knowledge of this machine please let me know I can email photos if anyone is interested as I woulkd like more info especially on the arm which has two grooves about two inches and about half an inch underneath I wonder what this is for Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

sorry for pushing this to the top has nobody heard of this machine as I would really like to get some info Alistair

Howdy Al, We are two nations separated by a common language. . I THINK you are describing a large, slow speed, horizonal grinding wheel for sharpening edged tools like wood planer/jointer blades, hedge shears, etc.? Sounds handy for a woodworker. We have a company in the US named "Foley-belsaw" makes grinders. Really sounds like you have a rare bird. Regards, Lone

[This message has been edited by lone waddie (edited 02-20-2003).]

Lone yes that is exactly what it is it is slightly unusual in the sense that unlike the Tormek it is not water cooled but has an oil sump and a pump to drip oil onto the grinding stone but hey this is a sweet machine laddie wan langwage is it ahll gi yeh wan langwidge. regards Alistair