Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new milling machine problems chester uk

Default new milling machine problems chester uk

Hi My pal Fred bought a new milling machinefrom Chester U K recently it worked fine for about a week then bang and he discovered one of the plastic/nylon gears had broken inside.He reported it and was told a new gear would be sent in a few weeks he had to fix it himself though .Well he's waited and waited and waited everytime he phones he gets this sam arrogent guy who tells him not to bother phoning as when it comes in he'll be contacted this several months ago despite this he phones regularly and gets the same guy who wont let him speak to anyone else and Fred is fed up should he simply ask for his money back and see if that gets them moving or what.I remember no long ago someone here reported to have all the phone numbers of the big cheeses in these companies to phone directly.If anyone has a better idea or another number let me know.I know Norm had a lot of trouble with them and I warned him but he is on a tight budget and the mill only cost about £500 so he want to get it fixed as he's keen on keping it as he had one before and it did ok Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Alistair,
    It's a problem with these small machines.
    They usually shear if you are flycutting and pushing the feed a bit.
    They are small and they do have their limits.

Arc Eurotrade carry spares for these.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/

They even have then in steel now [ notice on the home page ] but a word of warning, if the gear doesn't strip and you push it too hard then you will take the motor out.

There's a lot to be said for belt drives on smaller machines.

Last edited by John Stevenson; 07-10-2006 at 05:43 PM.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

I can attest that writing directly to a company president with a complaint can work wonders. One should try to exhaust other options first, of course, so one can write, "I did this and this and this and this and still no satisfaction, and no sign of any, so can you help me out?"

Another option for your friend may be to try to buy a replacement gear elsewhere, always assuming it's a stock (or modifiable from stock) gear he needs.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

surely chester should be a bit more responsible and come clean instead of ducking and diving every time he phones their attitude seems to be look fella you bought cheap therefore you get cheap machinery and cheap service that is not correct they are getting a very bad name from what I hear surely the management must accept a more respnsible attitude Alistair

So tell them not me.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

The difficulty as per my post is that getting beyond the telephone guy is impossible and hence I want advice.In any my problems are your problems and yours are gert's.Alistair

Put a posh voice on and ask to speak to Bill, he's the head honcho in the UK.

Failing that you want Anthony.
    It sounds like you are getting Gareth on the phone who's a right plonker.
    He'd promise you delivery in two days full well knowing the boat hasn't left China.

John beat me to it. Get the head guy' full name and address it to him/her personally. If you have a company letterhead so much the better. Business heads and politicians take company letterheads very seriously.

Default Chester Plonkers

Alistair,

Why don't you and Fred put your heads together and write an email to the letters page of Model Engineer and relate the story. I know Chester are a big budget advertiser with M.E, but if you word it so that you are not directly mentioning them by name, in fact praising their product, and at the same time leaving everyone in no doubt as to who you are talking about and what shyte after sales service they give, then maybe -
    1) the letter will get published, and
    2) Fred will get his replacement gear ~ and as a bonus, hopefully a freebie for the inconvenience he has suffered!

I've seen one or two letters like this which refers to them obliquely. Try referring to them as the "Major Machine Tool suppliers ....from over the border in Wales", or alternatively ".....by the banks of the Dee"

Failing that I'll get my daughter to pop round and give them a piece of her mind (she's at Chester University). I think she's Majoring in The Saddam Hussein method of Winning Friends and Influencing People!

It's time that turds like this knew how to treat their customers!

RR

Long distance charges apply.

http://www.chesteruk.net/about_us.htm

We currently supply and support products direct from China and the UK in the following countries; Norway, Austria, France, Holland, Malaysia, Spain, Malta, U.A.E, Kuwait, Qatar and Saudi Arabia. Alternatively we can offer to store and distribute from our Chester UK Factory for smaller quantities.

Our office in China has been established for more than 16 years now and operates under the supervision of our Managing Director Mr Michael O’ Hare who is English but also “ speaks fluent Mandarin” and whom has lived in China since 1990.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here